Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidpost

confused on 1000' run of 2psi natural gas line BTU capacity

sidpost
9 years ago

Okay, I'm in rural Texas and getting conflicting and confusing information from multiple sources about converting an all electric house that was formerly LPG (previous owner was afraid of an explosion apparently). The house is pier and beam with floor vents that are rusting though with an older furnace.

The house has one inch line run to the various points of service in the house that were previously LPG. I am going to put in attic duct work and a new furnace at the same time.

My street side service can be 2PSI or 5PSI (at greater expense). The run length to the house is ~1000 feet. I am looking at 1 1/2 inch line at 2PSI but, I get BTU/hr rates all over the place. The gas company will make ABSOLUTELY no statements about volume or BTU/hr beyond what the meter will do. My plumber seems to be a solid guy but, I don't think he has ever run something this far nor, had anyone looking at a 2 MILLION BTU service to an old farm house.

Will a 1 1/2 inch line running 1000 feet at 2PSI deliver 2 MILLION BTU's? Yes, I realize I need to step the pressure down for the house service but, I want to make sure I have growth room as I add fish tanks to a fish farm and figure if I grow past 2,000,000 BTU's I can justify the cost of running a new dedicated line.

Best Regards & TIA,
Sid

p.s. Right now I'm looking at a possible total fish kill with a Thursday low predicted in the upper teens overnight .... :-(

The house itself needs about 1/2 Million BTU's as it sits but, adding a hot tub and outdoor kitchen with Pizza oven and a WOK burner will add considerably to the load but, arguably not concurrently with other household appliances. Commercial fish tanks need every BTU they can get with the cold fronts that seem to be coming more common these days.

Comments (2)