Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tech0010

Water Heater Trouble

tech0010
10 years ago

So my gas hot water has been running out sooner than it used to, and my shower valve keeps getting clogged up with white plastic crumbles. It doesn't dissolve in vinegar so I think it is plastic.

Some research leads me to believe this means the dip tube of my water heater has disintegrated. My water heater is an american 50 gallon gas 6 year from 2002, which seems like it should be too new for the dip tube trouble from before 2000.

I'm looking at my replacement options. I've decided to rule out tankless due to the gas draw. I would probably need a new meter and new run. I'd like to stick to atmospheric venting tank unit for ease of replacement.

We have 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths. Two adults, two children. The bigger tub is about 60 gallons. The shower has two heads, each flow 2GPM. We like to take long showers. I know turning the heater thermostat up will help with showers, but I feel like we need a thermostatic valve to turn up over 120 with small children.

Options -
Standard 40k BTU 50G Unit with Honeywell AMX300 thermostatic valve - $500 + $100 valve
High Recovery 65K BTU 50G unit with Honeywell AMX300 thermostatic valve - $800 + $100 valve
High Output 85K BTU 55G Bradford White - $1500 (integrated thermostatic valve).

Anyone have any experience with the Honeywell AMX300 thermostatic valve?

I'm leaning towards getting a 65k BTU high recovery AO Smith or Bradford White, adding the Honeywell valve, and setting the thermostat at 150 - 160 degrees. $500 cheaper than the 85K BTU high performance 55G and should provide solid performance for a family of four.

I may add a recirc pump at the same time, the type that uses the cold water piping for the return.

Comments (6)