Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steel Valve glued to PVC pipe - how to get apart?

Posted by snikcilla (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 19:58

I don't know why, but my homebuilder glued the PCV pipe (incoming water) to the metal/steel(?) shut-off valve for my toilet.

Now I need to change the shut off valve and can't just unscrew it. The only way I can think to get the old valve off the pvc pipe is to saw it off?

However it is almost at floor level. So it seems like I would have to saw off the valve and then glue on an adapter or another piece of PCv pipe to extend it up above floor level enough to put on the new valve..

Is there another way? Is there some kind of liquid pvc glue remover that would allow me to remove the valve without cutting the pvc piping??

or some other way??

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steel Valve glued to PVC pipe - how to get apart?

There is no PVC glue remover. Get out the hack saw.

o

Something is not correct.

There are not a lot of glues that can hold metal to PVC against water pressure.

Are you sure there is not a threaded PVC fitting in the valve the pipe is glued to?

o

Brick...they have valves with cpvc molded into them where they can be glued to cpvc pipe. In this case, to replace the valve, the valve will need to be cut out. Why are you replacing the valve? They can be repaired easily.

o

"valves with cpvc molded into them where they can be glued to cpvc pipe. "

A solution in search of a problem.

A male threaded adapter into a metal IPT fitting just must not be fast enough.

o

That would have certainly eliminated the anxiety of being so close to the floor. I'm still wondering why the existing one has to be replaced instead of repaired.

o

Thank you all for replying.

Well, it is possible that there is threaded pvc in there, but it doesn't look like it. I see nothing thicker, etc. (It's so far back and inaccessable, hard to see, and close to the floor!)

But I still couldn't unscrew it with a wrench it in either direction. I could just feel the pvc pipe twisting! So I sense it must be glued.

I really hadn't even considered repairing the valve. (It both drips water, and doesn't shut off the water.)

Everything I've seen just suggests replacing the valve because they are cheap and easy to unscrew / replace! I will have to research fixing it. That may save me from sawing it out. (It's about 16 years old.)

Thanks for your help on this--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here