Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txdesigner_gw

Use of slot or trench drain in shower legal?

TxDesigner
13 years ago

Does anyone know whether a trench drain such as the ProLine drain by Quickdrain USA will meet building code in Austin, TX? I have tried local channels and keep getting conflicting info. We are trying to eliminate using standard round shower floor drain in favor of sleeker trench, trough, or slot type drain. If you know of any I could look at, or another suggestion for an alternative I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• homebound
    13 years ago

If the trench leads to a trap, I don't see why not.

• homebound
    13 years ago

How about these? I found them by randomly typing "shower drain" into google images.

http://www.trendir.com/archives/004118.html

• davidro1
    13 years ago

The surface area of the drain cover's open holes is the critical are to consider. The trench drain has a larger total. So it's good. Consult your town.

The flat floor (not level) you get with any and all "linear" drain is a very good alternative to the inverted cone floor you get with round or square drains in the middle of the shower.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

The surface area of the drain cover's open holes is the critical are to consider. The trench drain has a larger total. So it's good. Consult your town.

The flat floor (not level) you get with any and all "linear" drain is a very good alternative to the inverted cone floor you get with round or square drains in the middle of the shower.

• homebound
    13 years ago

Seems like it would be more work to it clean (hair, goo underneath, etc.). Personally, I'd seek another alternative.

• sewingsusanna
    10 years ago

We used a slot or trench drain in our new shower and it turned out great plus the drain was very affordable. If you have not checked out whatadrain.com it would be worth your while.