Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
running a RO line to a insinkerator dispenser - bad idea?

Posted by gt4889 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 18:50

I've read that water filtered by reverse osmosis is very "aggressive" and shouldn't be run through any dispenser other than the one that came with the unit.

I'd very much like to run my RO water line, along with the insta hot line to one, hot/cold, dispenser. Anybody have any experience doing this, good or bad?

thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: running a RO line to a insinkerator dispenser - bad idea?

Water is by nature a great solvent and RO water is even better. Since RO water has had pretty much everything but the H and O removed it will leach minerals and metals from anything it is exposed to.

RO faucets are usually lead-free and the quality ones are NSF certified. If you are intent in running RO water to another faucet contact the faucet manufacturer and ask them what the faucet is made of. Tell them you want to run RO water to it and see if they have any specific info.

o

I gave up on instant hot water dispensers after the first replacement. At one time I did have RO hooked up-can't remember the second time...but it could be why the second one started tasting so bad so soon. If you install an instant hot water heater I would stay away from RO supply. Now that I think about it the second time I had a simple inline filter hooked up. That may have removed enough minerals to cause leaching.

o

If you want RO with an instant hot water heater, just make sure that:

1) The tank is stainless steel
2) The faucet is low/no lead

There are many, many, many faucets that are fine and several tanks. One person's bad experience with inappropriate equipment is not a reason to stay away from RO supply to an instant hot. If done correctly, you will have NO issues whatsoever.

o

You are probably correct alice, a high end unit that will probably NOT be in Lowes would be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here