Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Treating Florida well water

jjaazzy
11 years ago

We are looking at a home in Vero Beach Fl. that doesn't have access to city water. There is no system there now, I guess the prior owners removed it. They tell me there are 3 flow wells, I saw one spritzing into the lake on the property. No clue where or what the others do. They also mentioned Osmosis water system but there was no big water tank system to be found. Anyone have any pointers of where I go from here? Will I need a pump? I don't know if free flow well services house too. NO CLUE. What kind of costs are involved in getting a system? Is maintenance of supplies expensive? I see Culligan rents from 35 to 45 per month is that a good deal? I tried to call them but they want to send someone out and we don't own this property yet.

Comments (4)

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just went on HD site and they have water systems too. I am sorry for all the dumb questions but I always feel I have to know so I don't get taken advantage of. They have some that say they remove all sorts of iron ect. How do you know (I know I need a water test to be done) but how do I know that a 600.00 HD water deal could not work? I know the guy that comes out to do the test is going to try and sell me his system. And what about pumping I assume I need to get the water up somehow, is that part of the deal when you purchase through a Culligan type company.

• User
    11 years ago

Flow wells? Do you mean flowing artesian wells? You will need to know the pressure and flow they generate to determine what type and size pump may be necessary. As to whether or not that HD system could work a water test is necessary. If you are going to install yourself anyway, you will get a better system for your $ if you purchase an industry standard piece of equipment online. I can help with specs once you have water analysis.

You need to know: TDS, pH, hardness, iron, manganese, sulfates, nitrates, alkalinity, bacteria.

You should get a well company out to take a look at your wells, test flow and pressure for you and suggest correct pump and tank. If the property Is in an area where city water Is available it is possible you may be required to hook up so check into that as well.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply. We looked at this house and then put the offer in same day. ( we have never done anything like that before if you only knew all the research we do to buy something that cost 10.00. Anyway my husband is very good with issues of house stuff and he was able to give a really good examination of things. He now tells me that there was no evidence of pipes where a prior system would have been, (short sale) says he thinks we have city water. this property is kinda country, but civilization is down the road about 5 min. Another house we looked at had a system but dh says they also had dirt road. Listing said osmosis so that lead me to believe well. Maybe I was wrong maybe paperwork was wrong (never accurate). So now I guess I will call city back and see if in system. Would you use an osmosis system on city water? Thanks again for trying to help me.

• User
    11 years ago

You bought a house without a complete understanding of what the water system was?