Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toukeki

Need to adjust water softener settings

toukeki
12 years ago

Posting for my wife whose been active on this board...

We installed the Fleck 7000SXT in November and are currently operating without a sediment filter. I had a water test done today and the results were as follows...

From the well:

20 grains hard

2 1/2 grains iron

450 TDS

Medium Tannin

From the softener:

1 part hard

1/2 part iron

500 TDS

"Slight amount of tannin"

These are the current configurations we are using: (after changes to RS and RC):

DF = gallons

VT = dF2b

CT = Fd

C = 50

H = 26

RS = rc

RC = 248

DO = 8

RT = 2:30 (for our needs)

B1 = 10

BD = 60

B2 = 5

RR = 10

BF = 10

FM = t1.2

It was recommended that we increase the amount of salt, but I thought I would run that by the experts here first.

Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Was the sample after the softener taken right after a regeneration, towards the middle of the time between regenerations, or right before a regeneration?

Was the test done by a certified lab?

In your original thread you (your wife) stated the untreated well water tested "iron .8 and 22 gpg hardness" and now it's "20 grains hard and 2 1/2 grains iron"? Iron is not measured in GRAINs but rather ppm so is the iron 2.5 ppm?

If the raw water conditions now are 20gpg hardness and 2.5 ppm iron and the # of people in the house is the same then the settings need to be changed.

Change H to 30 go a few weeks and retest the softened water.

• toukeki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The softener cycled at 2:30 this AM and the samples were collected at 7:30 this AM. Minimal water used in between.

The test was done by a local water company (an eco water dealer) by a certified water technician. They are the same company that tested it before. I went there to get some hardness test strips (they were kind of worthless) and they offered a free water test.

Yes, 2.5 ppm.

The number of people in the house has not changed so I will change H to 30. Does that mean more salt will be used?

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Tested shortly after regen. That's good to know. I would look into a comprehensive water test by a certified lab so you'd have an accurate benchmark to work from. A certified lab will cost you money but tests at the ECO dealer are worth what you paid for them.

No, no change in the salt. Changing the H setting there will be less gallons between regenerations.

The change in hardness and iron content results in a different compensated hardness number.

Go a few weeks and retest the softened water in the morning after a regen. A good idea to test the softened water the night before a regen so we see if the soft water is holding soft till regeneration.

• toukeki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'll make the change and get back to you in a few weeks.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Unless you post the accurate water conditions, sizing and setting a softener correctly is impossible. In your (your wife's) original thread there is no mention of tannins so that wasn't considered in the recommendation.

You really ought to get a comprehensive water test from a certified lab and see what else was missed or not tested for.

Money is important but penny wise and dollar foolish can cost you more than you'll save by scrimping.

It is also much better for one person to post rather than deal with two people and not know which one is posting.

• toukeki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your comments about tannins are understood. Our initial water test did not include any results for tannins, but the second one did so that's why it was mentioned now. Both tests were done by the same company, but we also understand the importance of having it tested by a lab as you recommended.

As far as one person posting, it has always been a team effort on our end. I have read every post ever exchanged between you and my wife and she provided input during this discussion. We continue to be grateful for all of your assistance.

• toukeki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome! Thanks again.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

With the iron increase from your original number of .8 to 2.5 your softener is not sized correctly as it would have been if you had supplied accurate numbers from a comprehensive water test by a certified lab rather than test results from the ECO dealer who was looking to make a sale.

The level of satisfaction from your water treatment hardware is determined by the accuracy of the water conditions you supplied and which the calculations are based on.

At 2.5ppm iron I would have recommended a different size and a completely different softener configuration.

Iron out (or similar product) maintenance is now much more important and must not be overlooked or forgotten.