Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lonewolf20_gw

Kichen plumbing question

lonewolf20
12 years ago

Ok here is my situation. The center of this window is where I will have kitchen sink. My question is should I run my drain through the floor or the wall to meet up with pipe at left of window.

Comments (7)

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Before adding an additional load we need to know the size of that pipe and what that pipe is currently connected to.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

... but that is fairly easy to guess, so I'll ask the next smart question in the series: where is the vent pipe? Do you know what venting is?

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Are you really sure it is that easy to guess what the line is connected to? If you were to open the back kitchen wall in my house in Ohio you would find four 2" sched 40 PVC lines, none of which are even attached to the DWV system.

Two run from a utility room on the second floor where there is a water heater and those lines are the drip pan & T&P valve drain lines, which run down the back of the house and discharge outside on the ground.

Two of those lines have an open stub-out in the basement and they run up and through the roof, where they extend out another foot with a return bend on the top so the end of the line is open and pointing down. Those lines are used as a chase for my ham radio antennae cables.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Unknown pipes are a little like unknown wires. I want to know what they're connected to before I mess with 'em.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

2" PVC lines could also be a built in vacuum cleaner or a chase for HVAC refrigerant lines.

On top of that, even if they are DWV lines, we have to know how many DFU's the current load is before we can consider adding more.

The bottom line, I am like Asolo,,,I don't mess with any lines until I am sure I know what they are being used for.

• lonewolf20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pipe you see in the picture is not hooked up to anything. It is a 2" pipe. It will vent thru the roof. The drain that I will hook into is on the left wall and is a 4" line that will handle only the kitchen as it leads out to my main line.My real question is should I run my line thru the wall into a wye. Or go drop down thru the floor and meet up with my dwv. Thanks for any and all help. We don't have code enforcement in my area, but i would like to do it right. And can anyone recommend a good plumbing book?

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Cut that 2" line about 18" above the floor and install a Sanitary Tee (DO NOT use a wye & 1/8bend or combo because they are prohibited).

From the top of the tee the line should extend up and through the roof in the manner you described for a vent.

From the tee run a 2" horizontal line over to where you need the stub out to your trap.

Under the UPC that 2"horizontal may run up to 5ft from the trap to the Tee and under the IRC it may run up to 8ft so you should have no problem with length.
    Install a 1/4bend (DWV grade 90) and stub the line out then attach a trap adapter on the line.

Make sure the line has a downward pitch of 1/4" per foot from the trap adapter to where it connects to the 2" riser.

At the base of that 2" riser under the floor you must install a Wye & 1/8 bend or a combo with the riser connected to the side inlet and install a female thread adapter and a threaded plug in the end for a cleanout.

It would be better to run 2" all the way to your main drain and avoid tying into that 4". The concern here is that lines are sized so that at full load the line will be 1/2 full of liquid and the top half of the pipe is still open for the free transfer of vent air, but if you tie into the 4" the level of liquid would then be too low to adequately suspend any solids that might be in the waste so the solids will settle to the bottom of the pipe and once the liquid has passed the solids will dry into a hard mass forming a clog. Believe it or not, oversized lines clog much faster than undersized lines.