Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c3eng

Washing Machine Backing Up

c3eng
10 years ago

I'm stumped!!

I have a washing machine located in a bathroom on the ground floor in my house. When the washing machine pumps out the water, the flow is more than the piping can handle so the water backs up and ends up on the floor. It used to work fine.

I moved the washing machine away and did some testing. I pound water from a gallon container into the drain and found it backs up after about a gallon is poured in. It slowly drains thereafter so there is an obvious obstruction. The inlet pipe is 1.5" diameter. If I assume the 1.5" diameter piping is filled to the obstruction with water after the one gallon is poured in, the obstruction should be located about 10 feet from that inlet.

I figured I could use a snake to remove the obstruction. I ran my snake in over 20 feet (it's a 25' snake). It came out looking clean and had no effect on the flow. I did it twice. Absolutely no difference in the flow the piping can handle. I also ran some drain cleaner through that piping - that didn't help either.

There is a sink in that bathroom located about 10 feet away from the washing machine. When I pour water into that drain, there is no backup there so the main header should be clear.

So I am stumped. Any ideas??

Thanks

Comments (4)