Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indianamike

Softener sizing

IndianaMike
12 years ago

I'm replacing a worn out Puritan softener. Considering a Fleck 9100SXT twin tank,1.5cuft,48K grain capacity per tank. Is this sized right or do I need to go to the 2.0 with 64K?

I'm on municipal water:

3 person household

175 gal/day usage

ph- 7.4

iron -0
hardness- 21 gr/gal

Manganese- 0
Chlorine- 1.0 mg/l

SFR- 9.5 gal/min

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

Based on your numbers you can get by nicely with a 1.5 cu ft single resin tank softener. Set up efficiently you'd be regenerating every 7 days.

What you'll gain with a twin in your circumstances is soft water 24/7 instead of no soft water with a single resin tank softener once a week @ 2AM for an hour or so while regenerating and lose a slight amount of efficiency but the savings on a single will offset that by a lot.

Unless you have your heart set on a twin resin tank softener for some reason you're spending money you don't need to.

If you have 3/4" plumbing look at a Fleck 5600SXT based 1.5 cube unit. If your plumbing is 1" or 1.25" then a Fleck 7000SXT 1.5 cube unit.

If that makes sense to you I can advise you on some aspects of exactly what you want to order.

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response!

I haven't priced the 5600 yet. I have 3/4" plumbing.

• User
    12 years ago

Since you already have a softener installed you have to MAKE SURE that the supply and return (inny and outy) are correct for a Fleck softener. Do not hook it up backwards.

You want to order a 1.5 cu ft softener with hi-capacity resin (not fine mesh) and a gravel under bed. You want a Fleck 5600SXT with top basket and the Noryl bypass (not the SS one). There are threaded and solder type connectors for the connection so get whatever is appropriate for your hookup.

Don't let the seller talk you out of anything I've put in BOLD type and none of those things should cost you extra.

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Significant price saving. What is your advice on ordering?

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help!

• User
    12 years ago

When you get the softener installed come back and I'll give you which settings to program. The way the seller will tell you to set it is not for efficiency.

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now have a new Fleck 5600SXT ready to install. What settings should I use?

• User
    12 years ago

On the 5600SXT control valve near where the brine line connects there is a sticker that says BLFC with a number like .25 or .50 or such. I need to know that number.

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BLFC 0.25
    DLFC 2.4

• User
    12 years ago

MAKE SURE that the supply and return (inny and outy) lines are correct for a Fleck softener. Do not hook it up backwards.

Here is a link to the 5600SXT Service Manual... click here so you can get into the master programming.

Set the current time and pay attention to AM or PM.

Write down the original value of any programming settings you change.

Here are your programming settings...

C=30k or 30,000
    H=21
    RS=RC
    RC=180
    DO=8
    BF=36

Do not change ANY OTHER settings

If you're not sure how or what to do don't guess!

Get yourself some hardness test strips and check to see if the water is holding 0 hardness all the way to regeneration. Check the hardness just before regeneration for a few weeks.

• IndianaMike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help!!!