Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distance between toilet and shower

Posted by bichonlover3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 16:16

Can anyone tell me the recommended distance between the side of a toilet and the side of a shower stall? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distance between toilet and shower

It is my understanding that 15 inches from the center of the toilet to a vanity/tub/shower/wall is the code minimum. You may want more...it is a personal decision beyond the 15 inches.

o

One exception in many local codes, is to allow a smaller distance if it's a tub next to toilet since the side of a tub doesn't interfere with elbow room (only knee room) so your body isn't as enclosed. If the side of the shower in question here is a full wall, then this is useless information, but if the side is more like a tub height, this may be useful, good to know. Defining it a tub versus defining it a shower then becomes an interesting exercise in mental gymnastics with the code people if they get involved, or asking for an equivalence. Caveats apply, take no action based on this alone...

HTH

-david

o

In Wisconsin it's 15" cc, for ADA it's 18" cc, 24" in front.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here