Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kinetico K5 system and ice maker

Posted by lauril (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 15:51

I am wondering if anyone has run into problems with the water pressure between their Kinetico K5 water filtration system and their fridge's psi requirement to make ice cubes? The minimum psi for the K5 system is 35 and my Samsung fridge's minimum psi requirement is 20, but it seems I may not be able to rely on these numbers to adequately make ice. If it is adequate as is, then great, but if not, then hearing from folks about how they solved this issue would be very helpful. My research appears to yield four solutions to ensure adequate water pressure between the K5 and fridge: 1) install a K5 flow suppressor valve, 2)remove fridge filter, 3)install a booster pump, and/or 4) install Kinetico's ice maker kit. The K5 is about 3' from the faucet and 10' from the fridge.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kinetico K5 system and ice maker

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for this issue? I am exactly in the same boat as you were now and looking to see what was successful.

o

I've had them at two different locations with four different ref/ice-makers for many years with zero problems. (Household water-pressure 55psi at one location and 65 at the other.)

Kinetico offers an air-bladder buffer for "ice-maker issues" so I assume there are problems here and there. However, I strongly suspect the device isn't related to pressure as much as for applications with long runs of undersized supply-hose. My locations used 3/8 supply hose with long runs and had no issues. Because I had no issues, I never asked them about it directly. If I was concerned, which you seem to be, I'd call them and ask.

o

Using any RO you'd want to bypass (eliminate) the fridge filter if it has one.

Call your Kinetico dealer. IIRC, there is a mod to address this issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here