Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logcabin1_gw

Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922

Logcabin1
9 years ago

Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow tub filler?

My challenge:installing tub filler into a log extending across a kohler sok tub. The tub extends into an alcove and abuts a shower enclosure which limits options for valve and filler location.

Leaving the woodworking out of the conversation the three things I'm trying to resolve are:

1) Pipe sizing requirements between the Kohler K-2971 (Hi Flow/Rite-Temp) valve and the K-922 tub filler. Specs state that K-922 requires 5-8 gal/min for the laminar flow to work correctly. The K-2971 valve has 3/4" inlet size for both cold and hot and a 3/4" outlet heading toward the tub filler. I'm surprised to see that the tub filler inlet port is only 1/2". At which point should I reduce the pipe sizing between the two fixtures? Does it matter? I need to get the best flow possible at the outlet.

2) Do I have options in selecting the pipe to use? Kohler literature states copper pipe between valve and outlet (no PEX?) - can I consider a flexible copper pipe or must I do this with rigid copper pipe? If flexible copper pipe can be used, which fittings are appropriate for flexible copper pipe?

3) The only location for the on/off valve is in the wall within reach of the inside of the tub. (Kohler states that valve can not be deck mounted when installing the ceiling filling option). This is an exterior wall (2" x 4") so I am concerned about freezing. Any ideas for mitigating risk of freezing?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz