Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

What can I expect to spend on a bath renovation?

rufinorox
12 years ago

We are renovating our bath and are planning all new plumbing. If all is well and all that needs to be replaced are pipes and installation of tub and toilet what should I expect to spend on a plumber?

Comments (10)

• randy427
    12 years ago

What pipes are you replacing?

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shower tub and vanity plumbing

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Far too many variables to even venture a guess without much more information...

By example, I have catalogs here that list just the toilet at ranging from $99.00 to $6,249.95

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Average bath remodels run around 13K. You can do a budget one for 5-7K if you bring some DIY to it. However you're talking about doing 75% of a new bath here. All the tile will need to be redone around the tub. Might as well do the floor so that it looks good and coordinates. This comes under the category of if you're doing 75%, that will make the 25% that you leave look that much older and more worn next to the updated and new. Go ahead and plan on doing the vanity and top as well. That's pretty much all that would be left from the old bath.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My apologies I wanted to know specifics on plumbing. This is a DIY project and we have a friend who is in the business however plumbing is not. We are hoping to stay under 5k on this renovation. All fixtures and tile have already been purchased and we are currently at $1500. My concern is how much of this budget will I need to replace all plumbing?

• davidro1
    12 years ago

rufinorox, specifics on plumbing depend, depend and depend.
    Write more.
    Write more.
    Know that any DIY can learn DIY plumbing too.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Davidrol- we have a 1940's home so to be specific we are planning to replace shower head, tub faucet and drain. Replacing a toilet and installing a new vanity so the sink plumbing will all be new as well. I'm sure my DH and friend can DIY, but in any case wanted to get an idea so we're not blindsided.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

sounds like the supply pipes are all going to be new. Pex or copper? Either way this can be DIY.

Sink vanity = new drain. This is not a big deal.

A drain is mentioned. This is not clear. A tub drain? Not the P trap? Or yes with the P trap? New position? Same position? This might be expensive and require a pro.

Is the new toilet going to be in the same place as the old toilet?

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Davidrol - everything will remain in its place, therefore no moving of pipes. As far as type pOf pipes to use personally I'm not sure which to use. I'm sure my friend contractor is aware. We will not know about the p trap until we open walls and remove the tub. When I mention tub drain I was talking about installing new replacement for tub. This bathroom reno is all new to me, more complex for me than just picking new fixtures and paint color. All trying to stay within a reasonable budget. The plumber/ plumbing is where I'm concerned the most $$ will go.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Only by being there and seeing obstacles is it possible to price it out.

If the drains will stay where they are, costs are much less.
    What makes things cost a lot is moving the drains in the floor.

rufinorox, sooner or later you will know more about plumbing pipes. Now is the best time to learn, because it is before you begin. Look at the pipes in the rest of your house and report back.