Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
possum512

Poly Pipe

possum512
14 years ago

I have a well that feeds my house through a 1" black poly pipe. I have recently moved my pressure tank and I got all new poly pipe and installed it. I did this job 3 times already in 2 days. Im using those gray plastic elbows and metal hose clamps. After the first time, I had leaks. I tried everything to stop it but I couldnt. So I took it all apart, cut the ends again and this time heated the pipe so i would slide on easier and maybe form to the elbow. Didnt work again. So I tried it one more time. This time I did the same as last but I also heated the pipe a little while it was on the elbow and then tightened the clamp. It still leaks horribly. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to this? I have an irrigation guy coming tomorrow morning to fix it unless I can get it fixed by myself today. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• baymee
    14 years ago

You have to slightly heat the pipe to get it on the elbow. Quickly snug up TWO hose clamps so that a small amount of softened pipe comes through the slots around the hose clamp. Stop at that point. Let pipe get cold and check the tightness of the clamps again.

I have seen the plastic elbows break. I would only use barbed brass. Available at well supply or home despot.

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

I wouldn't bury anything but solvent welded joints. Compression connection of any idea are a bad idea in this situation. Schedule 40 solvent weld would be the way I'd go.

• baymee
    14 years ago

I didn't see anything about buried pipe.

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

I've only used the poly pipe in a well. The barbed fittings were always metal (galv- in my case) and always double clamped. I always used a wrench on the clamp to get it more than screwdriver tight.

• champipple
    14 years ago

hi possum -

I'm a fairly new diyer. My one inch galv well supply pipe broke and I replaced it with one inch black poly. I used brass fittings. In my case the fittings were hose barb on one end and MIP on the other end.

It seemed impossible to slip the hose barb into the pipe unless the pipe was heated. I think I used a heat gun at a very safe distance. Don't remember but I think the hair dryer wasn't getting it hot enough. Pro's might strongly disagree with the heat gun approach - but I kept it pretty far away from the pipe and used just enough heat so the barb would slip in.

When heated it actually then slips on the barb end of the fitting without too much trouble. The heat makes a world of difference. Then you use the 2 steel band clamps to tighten her up.

Been almost 2 years since I've done it and no drips or anything so far. I think maybe brass fittings make the big difference. Pro's might disagree.

I think I've read somewhere that you can also use hot water to soften the pipe. But I don't see how you can stick the end in water in some cases?

Again i'm a newbie so what do I know? But heating the pipe and brass fittings and the 2 band clamps seems to do the trick!

Good luck? (Isn't water a pain in the butt?)

• baymee
    14 years ago

I use a propane torch at a distance. The poly pipe gets only warm. Warm enough to allow the fitting to slide in without distorting the pipe. Clamp as I described above. Never had any leaks.

• tomliu_kingseal_cn
    13 years ago

Hello, I am a sell representative from China, my
    E-mail:tomliu@kingseal.cn OR colorfulwind518@yahoo.com. Here is our company's website:

http://www.kseal.cn/
    company's name:King Seal Fastener Technology (AnHui) Co., Ltd.
    If you interest in any of our product , Please contact me,thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.kseal.cn/

• Replacement_Faucet
    13 years ago

Try using a mac pak -
    May be overkill, but will solve your problems.

I am assuming you have CTS (copper tubing size) poly.

You can get mac pak unions, or adapters to male thread. You will need an insert on the poly side - whoever sells you the pieces should be able to get you exactly what you need as long as you can tell them what you will be connecting on either side of the fitting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mac Pac Fittings