Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
platin465

Well water, need iron & bacteria removal

platin465
11 years ago

Hi all! I found this site while trying to find parts to fix my water issues. I'm in SW Florida, have been living with bad water since we bought the house, but all my local water people want to do is replace my system with a larger salt tank to clean the hardness and Iron. I'd rather clean the Iron some other way, and disinfect the water as who knows what's coming up from the well.

I've been able to clean up the softener and get fairly soft water, but still have some rust issues and smells as well as slime in toilet tanks and new nasty smells since installing a water heater. Found out it's the bacteria that's causing the smell from the hot side only. Temporarily fixed that by setting the water heater really high for a while, then setting it back down to 125, which is higher than I had set it before.

I'd like to clean up the water and have gotten advice from other sites but would like a second opinion and thoughts on what I'm thinking of buying.

First my water testing results:

Hardness: 17-20
pH: 7
Iron: 4-5
TDS: 605
Nitrates: 0

Other info:
High tannins, slime in toilet tanks. Things get rust-like stains. Low to no sulfur smell. Sometimes other smells such as rusty, fishy, garbage.

Now for what I'm thinking of buying:
Please let me know if this is all I would need to effectively treat the iron and kill most/all bacteria, then remove that as well as the added Chlorine from the water:

HN55 Fixed rate chemical Injector
Chemical Storage Tank - 15 Gal (for chlorine)
Structural CT120 Retention Vessel - 120 gal with blow out valve on the bottom.
Carbon Filter 1.5 Cu Ft & Fleck 7000 Backwashing Valve with bypass (thinking of stainless for Florida weather)
Mister Drain - Water Softener Air Gap (I don't think I have one now, outside install- do I need one?)

Also, as I need a new pressure tank, any advice on one for the humid Florida air? How about this one?
Flexcon 35 Gallon Fiberglass Pressure Tank

Any other parts/pieces I should buy while I'm at it?

I'm trying to find the best places to buy this stuff, and of course by best I mean reputable and good prices. Any tips? I've found one place with decent prices, but I don't see a stainless bypass, and I'd have to buy the HN55 and pressure tank elsewhere as they don't carry these things. This place uses Clack CS-HAC Coconut Shell activated carbon. Does that sound like good stuff?

Thank you for your time and advice!

Comments (3)