Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
straitlover

Squealing shower/diverter???

straitlover
14 years ago

My shower is making a horrible squealing noise when I pull up the diverter knob to send the water out of the showerhead. It lasts anywhere froma few seconds to a couple or so mintues. It started awhile back, meaning a couple of years :). First, it would only be when the shower was not used for several days when I was out of town. After using it a few times it would finally stop. Then it would be fine until I went out of town for several days again. Recently It's started doing it some if I only skip one day of using it. (I've been taking some of my showers at the fitness ceter after water aerobics; I'm not just stinky LOL!)

I did a search on Google, and it said I might have some trash in the showerhead. I'm going to take it off and see about that. If that doesn't fix it, anyone have any other suggestions? I will be calling a plumber because I don't know squat about it, but I'd like to have some kind of idea beforehand. I don't want him to tell me I need a new flugelhosen and charge me $500 - LOL!

TIA!

Comments (4)

• randy427
    14 years ago

Corrosion, mineral deposit or other debris built up on the diverter valve inside the tub spout can cause it to vibrate noisily, as can a cheap spout whose valve never seated correctly in the first place. A new tub spout may be needed if the cause is corrosion or the valve can't otherwise be gotten to seat correctly.
    If it ends up being the flugelhosen, though, get a top-of-the-line one.

• straitlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds good. Thanks!!!

• stevec3030_gmail_com
    13 years ago

If u put slight pressure on the diverted it probably goes away. If so there is a set screw on the underside of your tub spout take it off and take it to a local hardwear store and they will set you up with what you need

• stevec3030_gmail_com
    13 years ago

If u put slight pressure on the diverted it probably goes away. If so there is a set screw on the underside of your tub spout take it off and take it to a local hardwear store and they will set you up with what you need

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH