Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evaluator_gw

Water Softener recommendation

evaluator
11 years ago

I am interested in having a water softener installed and would like to get some answers about some possible issues with the unit I am considering going with.

I am on city water and have 25 gpg hardness, which seems pretty high compared to what other people report with 15 or less. The chlorine levels were minimal .2ppm, which I believe is the minimum the city does in my area. I do not know of the iron or manganese levels, but was told they are minimal here.

House has 2 bathrooms, 2-4 adults (varies by day), 1 child. Right now, usage about 1000 gallons every 4-5 days. Our schedules can vary, so I am really looking for a twin tank (+brine) metered system instead of a timer single tank system so that nobody has to worry about when the system is regenerating.

I have a couple of bids from local companies.
Although it costs a little more, I like the Kinetico systems since they do not require electricity (another thing that can break IMO). What I am wondering about is the 2040s since it has smaller tanks and I won't lose much garage space since I can have a work counter/storage above the tanks and also the unit is supposed to be "high efficiency" - each cycle can handle 5222 grains using 7 gallons of water and 1 lb of salt to regenerate.

Based on my current usage and hardness, I am wondering if this would be a good system since it will basically be regenerating one tank every day (5222/25 ~ 208 gallons). This means that regeneration will use about 200 gallons a month waste water and 30# of salt.

Would this be OK or should I get larger tanks with higher capacities? What I have seen recommended is that each tank should regenerate about every week or so. Is that recommended because the salt needs a certain amount of time in the brine tank to produce the best results or to prevent wasting excessive water/salt?

The other tanks I looked at don't really mention how much water is used in regeneration, so I'm not sure how to compare.

Thoughts?

Comments (3)