Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsd123_gw

Shower in a soak tub - flashing cannot be found

RSD123
10 years ago

Hi,
This is a new construction project. I have a 6' x 3' soaking/drop-in tub (American Standard. See image.) that has to go into an alcove i.e. walls on three sides and open on the fourth. There will be a shower in the the tub as well. I am being told that it is impossible to ensure that the connection between the tub and the side-wall is water-proof (because of the shower, there can be a lot of water falling on the walls and it can seep to the flooring under the tub). I searched around for flashing that will help me prevent this but couldn't find it even after searching with specialty plumbing stores.

Strange, because, when I purchased the tub, I was told it would not be an issue (I couldn't find a 6 ft tub that was meant to go in an alcove so I purchased a soak/drop-in tub.) Now, the tub is purchased and is sitting in the alcove but I am being told that alcove tubs have a different lip on the top that soak tubs - the former has a more slanting lip and the latter a more horizontal/flat lip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to tub

Comments (7)

• RSD123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@snoonyb - Thanks for the prompt response! I think you are referring to the Under Deck Mounting Instructions in the pdf (see image attached). If so, what I am being told (by at least two different plumbers/contractors) is that, while the method is sufficient for a soaking tub type of use, it is not sufficient for a tub that will have a shower. Reason being that showers will lead to more water coming down the wall and at higher velocity than if the tub was used just for taking a bath / soaking oneself. Apparently, Kohler used to make a flange that would convert the lip/top of this deck-mount tub to a typical flange (See typical flange mounting instructions attached). But they don't anymore.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Yes, you need a tub with an integral tile flange if it is to serve as a tub/shower. The tub that you purchased is for use as a tub only. They are far more common in a 60" configuration than a 72" one, but I believe Kohler does make a few. You need to check with a plumbing supply house to find the correct type of tub.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

From the PDF, on page 4;
    LIST OF OPTIONAL COMPONENTS (NOT INCLUDED):

is a tile bead kit which when installed and properly caulked, with POLYSEAMSEAL, specifically addresses your concerns.

Additionally, on page 10 is the specific method of installation, which also addresses your concerns.

Showers "wash" the walls and unless you have an Alson, or other shower wand, and allow the head to be focused at the tub flood rim, you will not have water intrusion,

Show page 4 & 10 of the PDF to the plumbers and contractors, and if their argument is the same. Time to find another.

You have to be smarter than what you are working on.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I don't know of a single plumber who will warrant a tub with an aftermarket tile flange to be leak free long term.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"I don't know of a single plumber who will warrant a tub with an aftermarket tile flange to be leak free long term."

Iy's not "after market" and you'd know that of you had taken the time to view the "installation instructions" PDF.

Besides which, the plumber does not install the wall covering.

• homebound
    10 years ago

A couple years ago I had a similar situation with a client's bathroom remodel (Kohler tub in that case) and did not want to take the chance with a $30 add-on flange that was recommended. But if I were to use a flangeless tub, there are a couple things I would do to help make it work:

Tub stringer needs to be screwed AND supported, not just nailed or screwed. Add some vertical blocking to lock it in place. You don't want any eventual sagging to open the joint at all.

Make absolutely sure the tile substrate is waterproofed (kerdi, redguard, whatever). Then follow the instructions for sealing the perimeter, per the tub manufacturer.

Use epoxy or urethane grout, not permeable (cementatious) grout.

After all that, the thought of any water seeping in there over time still haunts me. I am so glad I did not go that route for my client a couple years ago - I sleep better at night.

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 9:15