Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyma45

Hot water delay issues

johnnyma45
10 years ago

I have a water heater in the attic of a 2 story home, built in 2000. For the 2.5 years we've lived here, the hot water always takes a very long time (60-90 seconds) to even start getting warm. We need to wait this long regardless of location, from the 1st floor guest bath 40 ft away to the 2nd floor bath directly underneath the water heater up in the attic.

Does this mean that the issue doesn't lie in the pipes, but in the water heater? What can I do to speed up hot water at the faucet?

Comments (8)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Your problem is the pipes. Long runs and probably 3/4" mains and 1/2" drops to the fixtures. You have to get rid of the cool water in the pipes before the hot from the water heater can get there. Distance/flow rate/time.

Your very best option is the Metlund Design recirc system. go to www.gothotwater.com to check it out. Pricey, but the best technology for your problems.

I think a water heater in the attic would kinda be on my mind all the time.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Me to. I certainly wouldn't place my bed directly beneath it.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Only 60-90? OMG, wanna trade?
    I have unfortunately and unwisely, a 75' run, which means I plan at least 10-15 minutes, depending upon the season.

I, with the advice of this board, put in a recirculating pump. I turn it on 15 minutes or so before I plan to shower, then jump in. No wasted water. I'm on well and septic, so it's not that big a deal, but I hate waste.

Recently, my solar water system has conked out (repairs on Wednesday). I find using my back-up, regular water heater, the pump doesn't make a difference. I'm back to the long warm-up times.

I mention this simply because you're probably on a regular water heater, so make certain a pump actually works with your system. Mine should, but...

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

In addition to flushing out the chilled water (previously heated with your dollars) from the line, the new hot water must warm the piping before heated water is delivered to the faucet.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have this problem, too.

My water heater is in the garage. Water heats up quickly in my guest bath, about 11 ft. away, but can take forever to get to my kitchen and master bath. My MB is only about 8 feet from my GB, but I swear, it seems like it heats up in my kitchen (furthest from the heater) before it does in my MB.

I live in California which is now in Official Drought Mode. As I run water to heat up, there's only so much I can catch and store for something else. What's most annoying is my water is supposed to be hot before I run my dishwasher because, you know, DWs use less water than washing by hand. But I have to run the water so long to get it hot that I'm wasting more than washing by hand.

I think it's idiotic that my Bosch DW doesn't heat whatever temp water it receives to the temp it requires.

I'd like to consider options to remedy this slow to deliver hot water situation in my house. Where should I start?

• justalurker
    10 years ago

If the home has an existing return line ot one can cost effectively be added then a conventional recirculation system is the best solution.

If you home isn't plumbed for a dedicated return line then there are retrofit options that re easy, cost effective, and DIYable.. Search this forum for autocirc and there are these (copy and paste links)...

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp

http://unitedstates.xylemappliedwater.com/brands/laing-thermotech/plumbing-solar-pumps/autocirc-series-undersink-pump-for-potable-water-systems/

I've had the Autocirc system for a long time (10+ years) and it works great. Instead of waiting minutes for hot water the longest I have to wait is seconds. No noticeable increase in my electric bill but a dramatic drop in my water consumption.

I have hot water in seconds. The Autocirc pump has paid for itself and I continue to save money.There are those who criticize the design but I have not experienced a single negative.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

You asked, so here goes. In the days when folks in my area-- including my family-- had to carry water from a spring or pull it up out of the well in a bucket, we used water sparingly. There being no alternatives, the water was heated on the kitchen stove which burned wood. Some stoves had a water tank built in, some holding as much as 5 gallons. Others used a kettle or pot on the top of the stove.
    For dishes washed by hand, the stove-top heating of water from the cold faucet would be the most thrifty for limiting water usage.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

For dishes washed by hand, the stove-top heating of water from the cold faucet would be the most thrifty for limiting water usage.

bus_driver, I did that very thing yesterday. I filled my kettle with cold water and brought it to the boil. It stayed hot for quite a while and I did a lot of hand washing.

But what happens when I want to run my dishwasher which says it needs hot water in the tap? What about taking a shower in the morning?