Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkdriver_gw

How to adjust a strange softener

hawkdriver
14 years ago

Hello all-

I have a Jasons Water softener, model 4002. About 3 years ago Jasons came and replaced the electronic control panel on the machine. I now have a different control panel than my instruction manual covers.

I called Jasons, and although they answered the phone on a Saturday, (awesome!) they could not tell me how to adjust the machine over the phone

I need to adjust the hardness level by two, but cannot figure out how. I will try to provide a photo of the control panel. Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• User
    14 years ago

Post a pic of the front and with the front cover removed (if possible) and of the back,

From the poor pic on their web site it looks like it's a re-branded control valve. If it is then we might be able to identify it for you.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi-

I was in the middle of reading your other posts about the under sized softener. I will get these photos up ASAP! Thanks for your reply.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heres the Photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of control head

• User
    14 years ago

Link doesn't work... requires password to enter.

Just use this HTML tag to post pics right here

>IMG SRC=" type URL of pic here between the quote marks "Change direction of > in front and at the end of above line for it to work.

You can use one HTML tag for each pic you want to post

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you need any other details just let me know.

The Arrow buttons have no function until you hit the Recycle button. The Recycle button cycles through several options.

1. date and time (now the arrow buttons allow you to adjust date and time)
    2. regen in 10sec
    3. time of day for regen (arrow buttons again allow you to adjust time)

and thats it!

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• User
    14 years ago

The display and buttons look like a Fleck 7000... but the valve kinda doesn't. The following links may or may not help.

click here for Fleck 7000 master programming manual

click here for Fleck 7000 service manual

On another note, you have WAY TOO MUCH salt in your brine tank. Only keep as much salt in there as necessary to cover the water and check it once a week if you want to cut down on salt mushing and bridging problems.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah ok,

Thanks! I will keep less salt in it.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HOLY SMOKES! This is some serious stuff, I can now see why the Manufacturer wouldn't discuss specifics over the phone. There is alot to this.

My local dealer is offering a tuneup, where he will come out and adjust everything and get it up to speed and check it out for $150. I am wondering if I should go that route. He is also offering to spend some time and educate me on the system. (a huge plus to me)

Basically the new guy who owns this business is taking his customers seriously, as where the last group of people who owned it just didn't care. I think I may take him up on it, and at least try to have a business relationship that is worth a damn with the new guy. He sounds like he runs a pretty together business and is on top of his game.

What should I be looking for to be done in this "annual tune up" service? I get the idea that he will do minor repairs for the $150 fee. I don't know if that includes checking out my Jasons RO system or not.

Thanks for the input!

Kyle

• User
    14 years ago

I'd get a bunch of salt out of the brine tank and see if the tech dumps the remaining salt and cleans out the brine tank and makes sure the air check valve in the brine pickup and the safety float is working. Should be done annually.

He should check all connections, test the water, and make necessary adjustments to the programing of the control valve.

Make sure you're there when he/she shows up along with the list of questions you begin to jot down tonight. Consider the $150 tuition cause you're going to school.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello-

The tech departed a few hours ago, I had the brine tank empty and ready to go, I wanted to have it clean by the time he showed up, but he actually showed up early. He cleaned out the brine tank inside and out in my driveway, and took the valve off of the resin tank to show me the condition of the resin beads. They were round, an off orange color, and also had flakes of carbon inside as well. He found a piece of trash blocking the drain orifice, and fixed a leaking plastic fitting as well as installed a few new o rings and gaskets. He also showed me how to adjust all of the settings on the control panel, and set them the way they need to be setup. No water sample was taken, because the softener was not working 100% so it would not be 100% accurate. He left the hardness setting where it was the last time they were out, about 3 years ago.

He then came inside and tested my RO and I had 14 ppm at the RO and a few hundred at the regular faucet. So he concluded that the membrane does not need to be replaced. He also showed me how to work those silly plastic fittings and tubing under the sink. All for $147.50 Not too shabby.

Should I bother using that "softner cleaner" they sell at home depot? The stuff that you pour in the brine tank?

• User
    14 years ago

You only need to concern yourself with adding anything to the salt tank if you have iron in your water. If you do have iron then you can buy Iron Out or Super Iron Out for less $$$ and I'll tell you how to use it.

Did the tech exercise the bypass valve when he worked on the softener? Hope he/she did and looked for leaks. I prefer installing a 3 ball valve bypass in the plumbing along with the control valve's factory bypass so that if and when the factory bypass leaks or needs repair you can still have water to the house.

You ought to pursue a correct manual for your current digital control and write down your settings in case you need them down the road.

Sounds like a well spent $150 both in work done and education.

• knomes58
    10 years ago

I to have a Jasons Water softener, model 4002, but the recent issue is the leaking bypass valve. it is leaking on the knob side of the manual bypass between the knob and the valve body. it is a drip right now but I need to fix it right away before it gets worse, is there a specific O-Ring size's and any need to knows before I take this on?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH