Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Severe calcium buildup in showerheads, all faucets - Desperate!

MojaveLove
13 years ago

PLEASE HELP.

We have had this townhome for 3 years, it was brand new. The water in our area has a high concentration of calcium and it builds up like crazy on the faucets. CLR gets rid of it but it takes a lot of scrubbing, time and patience, and then I have to do it all over again just a few months later.

It's really bad.

The shower in the master bath - there is a regular shower head, a handheld shower head that extends off of that, and 4 small ones coming out of the wall. The handheld hasn't worked in 3 years, clogged up after a few months. The main showerhead still works but I don't use it anymore because the water pressure is so bad it doesn't even do anything (this happened about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago). The little 4 ones on the wall are what I use and they are fine, but they have a shell of buildup on them. I've cleaned them numerous times. The buildup is white and hard.

How do I clean out the shower heads? We took the head off but there isn't a way to get inside. Do we have to buy new ones, and then buy new ones every time they stop working? How can I get it off the faucets around the house? Also, is there a way to treat the water so there isn't so much calcium? We have a water softener but it doesn't seem to do anything to affect that.

Everything is chrome - I've heard it you let this stuff sit in lemon juice or something like that over night it will come off but I don't know if that would damage the chrome.

Thank you - I am so frustrated with this and am praying there is a solution out there!

Comments (2)