Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinaski_gw

Best of the worst hot water heater brands?

Chinaski
13 years ago

Guys, looking at adding another 50 Gal hot water heater to an existing 1996 Ruud Pacemaker as im looking to put a 96 gal bathtub upstairs. My father really likes the AO Smith so I started researching those in particular the ProMax series, my research all went downhill after that. When googled for ratings I found a ton of angry customers all with the same complaints about pilot lights cutting out constantly and what seems to be from faulty tanks dripping water on the pilot. I then started searching other brands and at Lowes.com you can't find a single unit with better than 2of5 stars overall rating and lots of angry reviews. What gives? The Ruud I have was put in by the previous owner in '96 and I have had no problems with it at all (knock wood). Are they still a solid choice? I can't find much feedback on Ruud or Rheem on the web which may be a good or bad thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• User
    13 years ago

Unfortunately it is difficult to get an accurate sampling because only those who a pi$$ed sound off while the great percentage of those who are happy don't bother to say anything.

A.O Smith took a PR hit a ways back during the dip tube nightmare that effected all the WH manufacturers.

I find that Bradford White water heaters are very highly respected and are generally only sold through licensed tradespeople so there's little feedback. Not the cheapest but that's not what I'm looking for in an appliance that I expect a decade or two of service from.

Whatever brand you choose... drain at least once a year without fail. If you have hard water get a correctly sized water softener cause that will do more to make the WH last than anything else.

• homebound
    13 years ago

I wonder what percentage of folks actually drain their system yearly. (I'd guess less than 0.5%). Then I wonder what percentage of plumbers do it. Closer to zero?

Just wondering.

• User
    13 years ago

I wonder what percentage of people who don't drain their WHers once a year go ballistic when they have to replace theirs and go nuclear when they get the bill and don't they always spring a leak at night or on a holiday weekend?

Around here water runs 30 grains hard and the average life of a WH is 1.5 to 3 years. Most WHers in this area are on LP and are more expensive than a NG one.

I have a competent softener that is correctly sized and properly set up and I drain my WH once a year without fail.

My WH was installed in 1995 and still works perfectly.

I have not spent $4000+ replacing 5 water heaters in 16 years while my neighbors have so I don't have to wonder, I just sit back and listen to their whining.

Routine maintenance (in many areas) often costs little to nothing and pays back big time so why not?

• Chinaski
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Justalurker, thanks for the tip on Bradford White. Are all their lines considered good? Searching google i was able to find a bit of info and ideas on pricing.

Their defender models (http://tinyurl.com/6eebzlc) look like they run in the $400 range (comparable with Ruud's current Pacemaker series and the AO Smith I mentioned). With 15 years on my Ruud maybe it makes sense to replace that now as well instead of waiting for it to go bad? (http://tinyurl.com/5sscq9k)

Then there's the faster recovery models in 50gal about $200 more each. Oddly I can't find the GPH recovery rate anywhere even on the manufacturers site. http://tinyurl.com/6f77xtx

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/products_list.asp?id=1

• User
    13 years ago

Since BW isn't sold retail and plumbing supply places won't talk to an end user(and I've never been impessed with the technical knowledge of plumbing supply counter people) I called BW and spoke to a fellow who listened to my needs and environment and recommended a specific WH model even taking into account the altitude of my home.

I approached a couple plumbers and gave them the model # and asked for an installed price. I could do it myself but messing with gas (LP) is (IMO) stupid if you're not a licensed plumber with a gas ticket... especially LP and around here a WH replacement is supposed to be permitted. Smarter to pay a pro and everything is legal and code... keeps the homeowner's insurance company happy.

When my old WH dies I'll be all ready to pull the trigger.

I did find Bradford White selling online but there is NO WAY I'd ever buy a WH online or long distance regardless of the (perceived) savings.

• Chinaski
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice to know Bradford White will talk to a consumer about their lineup. I'll give them a call. Thanks again

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

Do remember that Federal regulations required the manufacturers of gas water heaters to make major changes in the burner design to reduce the chance of the heater igniting flammable vapors from other sources, such as spilled gasoline, that might collect near the heater. Burners are now more complex, more prone to problems and more expensive. So comparing heaters from before that time is not very meaningful.

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

My sis's BF works for a major distributor to all the up-scale kitchen and bath dealers in our surrounding tri-state area. I asked him about HWHs because we needed to replace our 20 YO AO Smith which gave us no issues during that time. He recommended Bradford While over anyone else and said they are tops (they deal with AOS also). Luckily, since we know him, he was able to get us a great deal on our 80 gal unit.

My husband installed it over Xmas and it's been fine. And I don't expect any issues.

I was hesitant on getting another AO after reading all the neg. comments as well.

• Gardenguy12
    9 years ago

Your father had some great advice as far as recommending A.O. Smith's Pro Max as one of the best water heaters for those looking for an affordable water heater that never seems to run out of hot water.

If your looking for a water heater that will last for 10-20 years, you should consider a tankless. A little more costly, but most of them come with 15+ year warranties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tankless Water Heater

This post was edited by Gardenguy12 on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 19:59

• jackfre
    9 years ago

...and whichever tank water heater you put in, you expect a 50 gal water heater to supply a 96 gal tub? I don't think so!

• clinton williams
    7 years ago

Wow! Bradford White must have had a major change in the last few years. I have had nothing but problems from mine, and even worse problems getting them to honor their warranty. All the review forums I have consulted (unfortunately, after I bought and installed the unit) show that I am not alone with these problems. I have a 40 gallon gas tank that has been installed for less two months and the pilot assembly went out. It is a $30 part, and after getting the run around for almost three weeks, I have been told that I will have to pay for it myself, including shipping. Bradford White required that I have a plumber verify what was wrong (at my expense), then told me to go back to where it was purchased, who then spent two weeks putting me off while they got the ok from their supplier to replace the unit. Then I get a text telling me to bring the unit in, that they were going to cover it. But less than two hours later, they call me back to tell me they weren't because the supplier--Bradford White--wasn't going to cover it. So, to sum it up, their products don't last and they won't honor the warranties.

• uscpsycho
    5 years ago

Anyone have more to add on this? I have two plumbers who want me to go with Bradford White but I'm seeing way too many negative experiences to be comfortable with their product. Sorry to bump such an old thread but it's on point.

• jrb451
    5 years ago

I recall from reading a Consumer Reports discussion a few years back that all WH are very similar in construction and materials and that there's little difference between brands for the basic WH.

• uscpsycho
    5 years ago

That is nonsense. Unless by "basic" they are referring to each manufacturer's bottom-of-the-line model. There are many variations within a brand let alone between brands.

• oneandonlybobjones
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The Rheem water heaters that Home Depot sells get good owner reviews. If you are going to replace an electric water heater then you might want to look into a Rheem heat pump, water heater. They have a higher up front cost, but will save you $300 per year in electricity costs compared to a regular electric, water heater. Have the plumber meet you at the Home Depot to load it into his truck and then you would pay the cost of labor for the install.

• uscpsycho
    5 years ago

Thanks guys. This is water heater stuff is overwhelming when you are trying to buy the best one you can and there are so many options. Rheem alone has so many models with the same tank size, you need a lot more knowledge than I have to understand the nuances, but I'm learning. I feel that I have narrowed it down to two Rheem 75 gallon heaters. Definitely not going with Bradford White for several reasons including the ones mentioned above.

• Ewa Decyk
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

After 10 years, I am just replacing Rheem gas 40 gallon water heater. I loved that unit, never had any problem during 10 years. My plumber talked me into buying Bradford White water heater and now I am so scare after reading all these reviews.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

yeah, I can't really help you one way or the other on your BW. It should be ok, just don't believe much of the "this is so much better... " stuff you are being told.

You can always go to Big Box and have them install another Rheem.

• uscpsycho
    5 years ago

Here's a tip for anyone reading this thread. Get a powered anode rod to extend the life of your water heater by preventing corrosion. It's a cheap and easy way to make it last longer. But from what my plumber tells me it is much easier to install on a new WH because the anode rod is hard to remove on older WH. I had mine put in the day the new WH was installed.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    5 years ago

Why are you asking about the entire world of water heaters here?

It is doubtful that any responder will have had experience with more than one or two brands. Everything else will be what the person heard tell about a brand, not personal experience.

You want to be at Consumer Reports.