Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting a cast iron drain

Posted by mooie (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 10:16

Hi,

I removed a shower from my small bathroom and now need to cut the cast iron drain pipe down to as close as I can to floor level. I'm not sure whether a sawzall or an angle grinder is best to use in this situation. If a sawzall, what blade would work? Thanks!

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting a cast iron drain

Rent a pipe scoring tool.

It is a chain with hard wheels on the links that goes around the pipe and scores the surface.
The cast iron is then snapped off on the score line.

Sewer gas is flammable, so tolls that produce sparks (angle grinder) or can result in heating the material in the cut (sawzall) are not recommended unless the pipe is no longer connected to a sewer system.
As long as it is connected to a system it can have flammable gases present in the pipe.

o

Even if it's a shower drain?

o

It does not matter what th eiron pipe is being used for.

You do need to be sure it is iron pipe and not galvanized steel pipe.

Iron pipe was not used all that much in size below 3 inches.

Old iron pipe has belled ends (AKA 'hubs') with joints caulked (oakum) and topped with lead (the lead is poured over the caulk and then used to compress the caulk to create the seal).

Some newer iron pipe has no hubs and uses metal jacketed elastomeric clamps to join section (called 'no hub').

Galvanized steel can be cut wit a typical 'pipe cutter' with a hardened wheel.

o

Thanks Brickeyee, I'm pretty sure this is cast. The pipe is very thick walled, not like any galvanized I've ever seen and given the age of the house, odds are... I'll try the scoring tool and see how it goes.
How far do I score it and what do I use to snap it off? Thanks again!

o

Is there any access to the pipe from a basement or crawl space below the floor?

If so, the easiest method is to go under the floor and cut the line back a couple feet using s chain snap cutter to cut the cast, the use a Fernco to conect either PVC or ABS and install a new closet bend up to the bathroom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here