Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Condensing or noncondensing?

Posted by jasperdog (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 9:45

We are planning to use tankless hot water in our new construction. Our water heater will be near an outside wall so the vent run will be fairly short. Is it worth the extra efficiency to get the condensing heater? What are the pros and cons for our situation?

My second question is sizing the unit. Our house will have 4 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms. While there are only two of us there most of the time, I want to be able to take a shower and do the laundry or run the dishwasher at the same time, and I want to be sure two people can shower at the same time when we have company. We live in a cold climate. I've played with some of the online calculators, but they seem unrealistic. I have showered at my brother's with his undersized unit and I definitely want to make sure we don't undersize.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Condensing or noncondensing?

Simplest was to not undersize is to use a tank. Especially if you live in a cold climate, there is little to no loss from a tank most of the months of a year. Escaped heat just warms your house.

If you go with a fan powered vent model, check on the noise levels. It can be substantial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here