Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyrmcl

Gas Leak

jimmyrmcl
17 years ago

I've posted several times on this and other forums about a mysterious gas leak I have. I have a gas stove top and an electric stove. It backs up to a closet and in the closet, there is a hole so that one can access the connections. Ever since we moved in, when it is cold, we on occasion smell a faint gas smell in that closet and in a cabinet next to the stove/stove top where the main gas line connects to the range. I recently had the old line replaced with a flexible connector. Still had the smell. Today, I had a company come out and look at the range itself. The guy sent out said it wasn't possible for the range itself to leak because it is a sealed unit. What's that? And is blowing smoke? I asked him to get down and see if he could smeel gas under the cabinet and he smelled it faintly and said whomever installed the flexible connector didn't use a sealant on the connector. I had the plumber out who installed it a couple days ago and he did the soap test and it revealed no leaks. What could be my problem. If it is sealant, is this something I can do myself without undoing the connection? Is there a puddy of some sort that I can smear over the conenction at the main line and at the connection into the range?

Also, if you know of any good plumbers in the Dallas area, I would appreciate it. I haven't found one I can trust yet and have dealt with 5 or 6.

Comments (3)