Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckles32

Water Heater for Remodel Question

chuckles32
10 years ago

In the process adding on to our house and increasing the square footage from 1400 to 2800 sq ft. We will end up with 2 full baths (with tubs) in the new space and all plumbing will be in new addtion. Family of 6, with 3 girls under 10. DW likes to take baths 1-3 times a week.

Currently have a gas fired 50 gallon heater that is 12 years old. Venting is in chimney (house is 1955). Was planning on replacing with 75 gallon, but model estimate from plumber is $2400 to change to 75 gallon Bradford White (M2-TW75T6BN), which seems expensive, considering I paid $400 to put the 50 gallon in 12 years ago. Some of that cost is due to installation and moving the hot water heater to a new location.

Several plumbers have come by and looked at the total job and no one has recommended a tankless solution. Reading GW, I see many have used two 40gal or two 50gal heaters in tandem or series. I'm looking for some advice - should I consider tankless, perhaps with a buffer tank? Is this price of $2400 to install 75 gal heater high? Should I go with two smaller (standard 40 or 50) tanks?

We are doing a new furnace as part of remodel. Current furnace is vented through chimney near hot water heater, but will be moved to a new location. I'm not well versed on venting, but am concerned about a the noise of a powervented hot water heater....