Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenscene_gw

water softener sizing - Please...

greenscene
10 years ago

I am looking to get advice on a water softener size. Hopefully the information below will help you with your decision.

I'd like to get a water softener sizing based on the house size (for future selling) and our current needs, so that I can understand the difference.

4 bedroom house, but with 3 adults living in the house.
4 bathrooms and no jet tub or anything fancy. I have three showers and a dishwasher.
Measured the flowrate and got 5.5 gpm outside and at the master tub.

Water is from a private well with a 4.5x20 sediment filter immediately as the water pipe enters the house. The sediment filter is a Hydronix SDC-45-2001 which is a 20-to-1 micron polypropylene filter. Specs is an initial deltaP that measures 1psi at 20 gpm. The water pressure is set to 60 psi.

The water supply pipe diameter is 1 inch.

The water lab results are as follows:
pH: 7.6 s.u.
Conductivity: 574 umhos/cm
Total Dissolved Solids: 402 mg/L
Alkalinity: 260 mg/L
Bicarbonate: 310 mg/L
Carbonate: 6 mg/L
Chloride: 11 mg/L
Sulfate: 33 mg/L
Hardness: 202 mg/L
Nitrates: 2.74 mg/L
Calcium: 62 mg/L
Iron: 0.06 mg/L
Magnesium: 11 mg/L
Manganese: 0 mg/L
Potassium: 4 mg/L
Sodium: 49 mg/L

Note: Even though the iron is low, the toilet gets stained a reddish color in about 1.5 weeks. The sediment filter also has a deep orange color when I change out the filter. My water is clear and does NOT turn red over time in a glass.

Thanks for you help and hopefully I provided all the necessary information.

Comments (3)

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Sulfates and other minerals can also cause some discoloration and odors.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    10 years ago

You may be collecting particulate iron in your sediment filter, but it could also be just dirt with a little iron in it. Just make sure you always have your sediment filter in good working order.

In a toilet, a pink or reddish color is often the result of a common (as in, it is just about everywhere on surfaces and in the air) bacteria. There is little to be done about it aside from frequent cleaning. In a toilet, particularly, you could have any number of things growing in 1.5 weeks.

In your current situation, a 1.0 cuft softener would do just fine. However, if you want to size for potential usage due to the size of the house you could go with a 1.5 cuft. It will provide soft water at a higher flow rate for those times when multiple fixtures are in use.

I'm not much concerned about the tiny amount of iron you have. As a precaution, you should regenerate with 8 lb salt/cuft of resin and do a periodic iron treatment (3-4 times per year should be sufficient).

As you speak to your local water treatment vendors, or online folks if you are capable of taking full responsibility for your system, ensure you get the following:

• High quality American or German made resin. This will provide a tight size distribution for optimal flow within the resin

• Since you have WELL WATER: 8% crosslinked resin.

• Top basket. This serves two purposes. It sets up a proper water distribution during normal operation and prevents resin loss during backwash.

• Gravel underbed. The gravel underbed is there to set up proper flow patterns, improve backwash and prevent channeling. Many softener sales companies like to leave this out or sell softeners with a vortex system instead. Vortex systems weigh less than gravel so they cost less to ship. In addition, they are a more expensive item that adds profit for the softener salesperson, but provides no additional benefit to the homeowner . It simply adds another piece of equipment that can break.

• Fleck or Clack valves. These set the industry standard. Be aware that you will not be able to purchase Clack valves online. This is not a problem if you purchase locally.

• Noryl bypass. Most softeners are available with either Noryl or stainless bypass valves. Both are good valves, but the noryl tends to be more reliable when not used for long periods of time.

• Install the softener with a three-valve bypass. This will make it so much easier if you ever need to remove the softener for repairs or wish to take it with you when you move. Use full-port, quarter-turn valves.

• greenscene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alice. I have ordered the 1.5 c.u. softener with all of your recommendations. When I receive the Fleck 7000 SXT water softener, I'll post again and maybe you could help me with the settings.