Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with bathroom smell

Posted by gbishere (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 0:40

Hello friends, I have a problem with master bathroom. Strong smell almost like sewer smell. It's driving me nuts trying to figure it out also stressing me bc the smell seeps into bed room. I thought it might be mold but after tearing out two walls everything seems fine minus alot of cockroach poop. cleaned all that with no difference in smell. Now I have a different theory. House had to have new pipes installed several years ago b4 I bought house. Old Copper pipes now are still in house but not hooked up. Did they not connect new pipes in bathroom to vent correctly and how could I tell. Another theory is the old copper pipes not in use in wall don't seem to be capped off at all. I would hire a plumber but simply do not have the money. Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with bathroom smell

Does the sinks, toilets, and tub drain slowly? If so,it be a caused by a clog in line.

o

I don't even use the bathroom bc of the smell but the sink I use occasionally drains a bit slow but not enough for me to cause concern. I will start by pouring what down there?

o

house did sit vacant for awhile and also shower head is not working in master bath so if that's not hooked up properly then the ptrap for that might very well not be. I already have that wall knocked out partially. if I replace all that plumbing maybe that will work

o

put vinegar then banking soda and some hot water down shower and br sink. ran a garden hose for a few seconds down roof vent. . I just don't get where this smell is coming from. .. Am I going to find a dead animal in the wall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here