Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newspaper Rock

Posted by kentuck_8b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 20:03

Taken at the Petrified Forest in Northern Arizona.

People who farmed the Puerco River Valley 650 to 2000 years ago, pecked these petroglyphs onto the rocks, leaving a legacy etched in stone...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newspaper Rock

Nice take of this rockl, KT!
Have you edged in your initial?
Konrad

o

how neat, never seen anything like it.

o

Thank You both! Utah also has a 'Newspaper Rock' but I haven't been to that one yet.

No, no initials:) They do not let people close to the rock above, probably for that reason. Anyway, the rock was below the viewing site and about 40 yards from where I took the photo, so I had to zoom-in to get the photo.

Kt

o

There is something similar in New Mexico. This is at a very remote location. It's not protected at all. In fact I'm guessing only a handful of people even know that it exists. I just stumbled across it out hiking years ago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ron

o

Excellent, Ron! Would that happen to be in the Gila Wilderness Area, by any chance? I took some photos of some when we were there a few years ago, some were off the beaten path.

Have you ever been to Three Rivers Petroglyph Site? There are over 20,000 documented petroglyphs there, they cover the entire hill and surrounding area. I took hundreds of photos.

It is the largest collection site of petroglyphs in the entire world. They have a fenced in area, but you can go outside of that area, but not everyone knows that, but that is where you find the most pristene glyphs.

Kt

o

Hi kt,
I lived in Silver City, the gateway to the Gila, for 16 years. No, these petroglyphs are'nt in the Gila but, they're near there. Where is Three Rivers? There are also lots of petroglyphs near the Cooke's Range in SW New Mexico.
Ron

o

Three Rivers is between Corrizozo in the north, and White Sands, to the south, on HWY 54.

We travel south on I-25 out of Albuquerque. Turn east(left) at San Antonio(Home of the first Hilton hotel). At Corrizozo, turn right, and go south. It is just a small stop in the road. There is a small gift shop off HWY 54, but you turn right past that and drive another 2 miles.

Plan on spending some time there as it will take hours, and even days if you want to see most of it. Like I mentioned, go outside the fenced area for some of the best and undisturbed glyphs.

There are also many in Chaco Canyon, along with the ruins of the Anasazi. Also, at El Morro(and the Ice Cave), south of Grants, there are more ruins with glyphs there along with early Spanish carvings in the rock face, some as early as the 1500's.

Kt

o

I've never explored over in that area, kt. Thanks for the info.
Ron

o

That is so cool that you can go out hiking and just stumble across something like that without any fences or anything! It's hard to find areas like that anymore! Great pictures!

o

We've been there- a long time ago. We have pictures - not digital- of that area. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for the memory!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here