Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backpacking in the Bighorn Mts. of Wyoming

Posted by ronf (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 07 at 9:56

Each July I take my sons on a week long backpacking trip to the Bighorns in Wyoming.

The rivers are ice cold but, that numbs your feet so the sharp rocks don't hurt as much.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Quality time.

An alpine lake.

Shoot, I dropped my beef jerky.

Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backpacking in the Bighorn Mts. of Wyoming

love these, please share more!

o
Yeah Bighorns!

Oh these were the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming, I love them! I have driven through them 3 times but never had the time to hike in them. Where is this at in the Bighorns? My sister and I stopped and had a picnic at a stop but did not hike anywhere. I would really love to see more of your photos, do you have a page somewhere. Bighorn Mts. are one of my favs. Makes me want to go find my pics and look through them again.

o

Thank you, minrose.
If you go to Photobucket and search toastie2313 you should reach my albums. In there will be pics from trips in '05 and'07 plus misc. other "stuff". All of these were taken from in the Cloud Peak wilderness area. It is our favorite hiking destination. As beautiful as Yellowstone or the tetons but without the crowds.
Ron

o

How wonderful Ron. Really appreciate you sharing.

o

Beautiful! I could spend forever walking through those mountains and never get tired of being there.

If that was me who dropped the jerky, I'd be climbing down after it. I like jerky, and I like climbing, or in this case, unclimbing, but whatever the case, I wouldn't want to go hungry.

Kt

o

Oh those are wonderful...and the times you have shared with your children...priceless...there is no greater gift..thank you. c

o

Ron,
I went to your photobucket pages, thanks so much for sharing, they are all wonderful. Someday if I ever go back to the BigHorn Mountains I want to do some hiking. They are my favorite mountains, I have seen The Grand Tetons, Yellowstones and Mount Hood in Oregon.

o

Thank you all,
Ron

o

I am interested to know how those lakes were formed. Seems they are set deep in the mountain, at least from what I see in the photo.

Too high to be glacier-dug and not erosion formed, so maybe formed by a volcano?

Kt

o

I'm no geologist but, I'm guessing glacial. The higher peaks are very sculptured. Then the occasional glacial debris blocks off the valley to form a lake. One high valley we really like has 11 lakes. Each one stepping down from the last. It makes for some spectacular waterfalls in places. When we were there in 2005 the snow pack had been more than usual, then we hit a very warm week (for that elevation, 10,000+ feet) and the river was very high with melt water.

In this 2nd photo if you look closely you can see my youngest son in the upper left of the picture. The roar from the falls is unbelieveable.

Ron

o

WOW!! Now that's beautiful!

I have got to go there one of these days. Don't be surprised if you come walking up on me next year!

Thanks for posting, and do you have any more, if I may ask?

Kt

o

Thanks, kt.
I have to say I've done a fair amount of traveling and the Bighorns are my favorite destination. More pictures? I've been there in '05, '06 and '07 and have about 150 pictures from each trip. Not all are uploaded to a web sharing site but I'll see what I can do.
Ron

o

Thanks Ron for sharing more and feel free to share even more, I just love em all. Some of photos, make it look like some of the hiking can be a little rough or scarey, it that so? I am not really much of a hiker but I am really considering trying it someday after seeing your gorgeous photos of the Big Horns. I got to find my photos that I took of them.

o

minrose,
Yes, there are places where it gets kind of rough. The best (read most remote) places we go don't have trails to them. We have very good topographical maps and are very aware of where we are and where were going. But, without trails we end up scrambling over and around boulders that can be the size of an SUV. It can be slow going. It is also best to be very aware of your physical limitations. If a route looks to dangerous, look for another way.
Thanks for looking,
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here