Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for a new camera!

Posted by foosacub (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 07 at 4:08

Entry-level DSLRs are where my budget lies. What's caught my eye so far: Canon Digital Rebel XTi/Nikon D40. I'd love to hear from anyone that ones one or the other, or has a recommendation to add.

My main concerns are dust, noise, 'crispness' of photos, true colors, and accessories - how readily available/expensive will new lenses be?

common issues mentioned in reviews:
Nikon - dust issues, noise.
Canon - underexposure, color quality, RAW is only format available without super-expensive software???? Huh?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for a new camera!

My cousin and I debate this all the time, he has Nikon, I have Canon. We're always comparing lenses, from our discussions it sounds like Canon "L" glass is more expensive but I've never looked at the cost of Nikkor.

Canon underexposed, yes "P" mode is a bit under but I use manual mode most the time now and don't have the problem. You don't need to spend the $$$ on Photoshop, ACDsee pro($99) handles my RAW processing and I used the money I save to by more glass.

Color, that was what I noticed with the kit lens and don't have that anymore now that I use better glass.

I have the 20D and did not like the photo quality kit lens(17-55)and bought 17-40L f4($600+) a few days later. The next month I purchased the Canon 100mm macro lens($400+), and I still wanted more photographic range. Next came a 28-70L 2.8 ($700+), 70-200L f4($400+), these kept me happy for a while. Then I want a longer macro so I sold the 100mm on ebay for $50 less than what I paid for it and got a 180mm f3.5L macro ($1100). Then Canon came out with 70-200 f4 L IS($1100), sold the non-IS ($500 ebay) to get it. Since then I have purchased 2 more, the ef-s 60mm($600) and the 85mm f1.8($300). Only thing I want now is a long lens, maybe a 400 f5.6L ($1100) with an extended. Any longer and the price gets prohibitive for me.

You can buy cheaper Canon or 3rd party glass but you get what you pay for. They're all readily available, all my lenses were purchased online, usually a bit cheaper and more selection than locally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here