Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camera questions

Posted by kessy56 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 22:00

I'm planning on buying a new Canon in the near future and would appreciate any advice! My granddaughter is a senior and wants me to shoot her senior pictures for her! I have no idea what Canon to buy that would be something I could do senior pictures, maybe her wedding within a couple of years, and some good landscape photos (I love driving through the country snapping photos of old barns, et). Thanks for any advice I can get for someone who knows more than me (and you don't have to know much to know more than I do! ha!).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camera questions

Kessy, your photographs must have made quite an impression on your granddaughter for her to want you to take her senior pictures. What camera are you using now?

I assume you'll want a DSLR and some lenses: something like a 70mm lens for portraits and wider angles for wedding and landscape photography. I don't know anything about the many Canon models and lenses, but I'm sure if you ask your question at DPReview's Beginners Questions Forum you'll get lots of useful information. Many Canon people hang out there. DPR also has several forums for Canon users.

Unless you have a lighting setup, I suggest you do the senior pictures in natural light, but not bright sunlight. Early morning or overcast day might work.

Let us know what you get!

o
RE: Camera questions

2nd the above tips.

Also, if you get a DSLR, you can also rent a lens or two. For example, if you want to add-in a few fun photos, consider trying a fisheye ...

Wide Angle & Fisheye

Not a lot of them. But a few might be cool to try. Explore for fisheye on Flickr too and see what others are doing for some ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here