Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth repairing or is it toast?

Posted by john_ny (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 17:22

I have a little point and shoot camera that took quite good pictures. It is an HP812, 4.1 MP. I think it's about six years old. (When I get the window, where you set the date and time, it starts out with 2002.) It came with a dock, which loads the pictures into the computer, and also charges the batteries in the camera. A little flashing light on the dock indicates it's charging; when it's charged, the light goes off. When you push the on button, on the camera, the lens extends, and a little green light comes on. When you take a picture, the light turns red, for a couple of seconds and, when it's ready for the next pictue, goes green again.
A little while ago, I started having some trouble. When I took the camera out of the dock, and turned it on, the lens would extend, the green light would come on, and then the light would turn red, and the lens would immediately retract. Now, it's gotten worse. When I hit the on button, the green light comes on for a fraction of a second, and the lens doesn't even move at all.
I'm pretty sure the problem is in the camera, and not the dock, because when I put brand new batteries in , the problem persists. I was planning on getting an SLR, but was hoping to get e few more months, or a year, out of this one. Prices have come down so much, that I'm thinking it's not worth trying to repair this one. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth repairing or is it toast?

Call HP's repair center and get a quote, and compare that to the price of replacement options. With a camera that old I would venture to guess that for the cost of a repair you could get a significant upgraded camera.

o

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking.

o

I just picked up an 8-megapixel Canon for $93. I'd say don't even consider fixing.

o

Do you have boys? I am sure they would love to have some batting practice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here