Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jaggies

Posted by gipster (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 9:02

Hi all, I hope you can help. As you can see in the picture I have some distortion.What setting on my camera do I need to change.If I remember I use to get some nice clear pictures from this camera. I usually use the "auto" setting for everything. I do turn the flash off sometimes It's a Canon A620 7.1 mega pixel.I'm guessing you experts will show me the way. Thank you in advance. GIPSTER

Image link: jaggies (30 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jaggies

The picture you posted is only 420 x 320 pixels. The picture will likely have the jaggies if it is expanded more than 2.8 x 2.1 inches squared (150 pixels per inch).

The other problem you may have is in reducing the photo to 60 KB or less for posting. The amount of jagginess is dependent to some degree on the software used to reduce the file size. Some applications are better than others at smoothing diagonal lines when processing photo files. In some cases it is better to keep higher pixel counts and make use of more file compression available for jpg file type. It's a balancing act for reducing to a small file size.

Your camera has 7.1 MegaPixels which is plenty to make a 8 x 10 inch squared print, but the file size would be much larger than 60 KB.

Tip: Never edit your original file or overwrite it. Always make a copy, give it slightly differt name, and edit that copy. If the results are undesirable, delete it, get another copy and experiment with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here