Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are my options with what to do with all these video's?

Posted by polarprincess (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 1:01

Hi, i have a digital movie maker camcorder that my husband bought about 9 years ago and i never did figure out how to do anything with it except for just shooting movies. it uses the mini dv tapes and i never even figured out how to transfer them to the computer although i imagine it is as simple as a USB cable, and then to burn them to a DVD? Is this type of videocam completely outdated now? As i mentioned in another post i am looking at buying a new digital cam and or videocam and was asking what to do with the videos once they are taken, but anyway- that's another post, but i also have some of the old big fat tapes(30 mm?) from an old camera which no one can find, and i was able to find an adapter to put them into a VCR to view, so my question is how would i then make a DVD of those? Am i going to have to buy a VCR/DVD recorder with dubbing capabilities? Or is there another way?

I did read once about a sony product that you could plug your camcorder or vcr into called the Sony VRDMC5 DVDirect DVD Recorder- has anyone used this and do you think it would solve both my problems? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are my options with what to do with all these video's?

If your camera really is a mini-dv, to get the images onto the computer, you usually need a firewire connection, many newer computers, especially Macs have them. Sometimes they do work with USB too. Read the handbook or go to the camera maker's website, you should be able to download a handbook.

If you want to, you can edit the movies and make a dvd all on the computer, if it's set up for it. Something like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie for the mac.

If you don't want to edit, then a DVD recorder will be the simplest, and you can use it like a vcr to record tv etc. Most these days have a built-in hard drive too, so you can make multiple disks of the same thing. Apart from Sony, many other makers produce dvd recorders now.

You will want to make sure you get one with a firewire jack so you can connect that way, it's the best and simplest, only one cable required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here