Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'G' lens for Nikon .. [I posted d80 info kit offer]

Posted by sydneydavis (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 23:00

Okay I went through page after page and called several places today and this has sounded like the best deal. I asked several times about the type of lens because it seemed almost too good. This is the package I found most interesting but want to know about the G lens listed. Is anyone familar with it? It appears to me like it may be an older model of lens. The person on the phone didn't go into any detail about it.

This is what the additional info read on the G lens..

" A key design element considered that the newest Nikon SLR models have built-in aperture control (via the Command Dial), and therefore do not require that the lens have an aperture control ring. With this point in mind, the G lenses omit the aperture ring, resulting a llighter and more compact lens."

I asked in a couple different ways about the different ways the other lens read - AFS ED-IF, or ED IF VR [I read several off the list on the ad page]in Popular Photography Oct Issue. BTW in that ad it did not list any letters after the 70 -300 and I think just AFS on the 18 - 135 mm. It could be because teh page listing was very small...but anyway...what do you think? Would it be worth my time to buy a newer lens model with the aperture ring?
Thanks again!
Sy

List Price: $1,999.99
Our Price: $1,299.99
You Save $700.00!

Product Code: NKD80NK1813570300GB4

The following items are included FREE with this product:

1 of Digital Camera Carrying Case ($89.99 value!)
1 of 5 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit ($29.99 value!)
1 of Full Size Tripod ($89.99 value!)
1 of Nikon Zoom Telephoto Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens - Black ($249.99 value!)
1 of Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens ($1,305.99 value!)
1 of 4GB SD Memory Card ($329.99 value!)
1 of Step Down Ring 67-62 ($9.99 value!)
1 of Compact Flash Card Reader ($79.99 value!)
1 of Hi-Res 3 Piece Filter Kit ($149.99 value!)
1 of Flash for Nikon Cameras ($149.99 value!)
1 of Table Top Tripod ($29.99 value!)
1 of Hi-Res Wide Angle Conversion Lens ($299.99 value!)
1 of Hard Shell Case ($149.99 value!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'G' lens for Nikon .. [I posted d80 info kit offer]

Not a bad deal, but they are definitely embellishing the quality of the free stuff.

Some add on lenses and filter actually degrade the quality of the picture. The craftsmanship simply does not exist in those conversation lenses and filters. Is the Flash an actual Nikon flash? How does it work? Manual, auto, TTL? 4GB of memory DOES NOT cost $329 these days.

Like I said, its looks like a decent price for what the market asking.

Check here:
cameta.com then go to there ebay store. Some good deals there to compare your against.

70-300MM G lens. you can buy them for about $140 and for what they are, it is a good lens. There are definitely better nikkor lenses, but they cost $900. You had better expect them to perform better. What type of photography do you plan to do with this lens? That will better tell if this lens is something you should have.

Zjoe

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameta D80 page

o

Thank you Joe.
I didn't even look at the Flash...I was was concerned about the lens part. This is from DigiCombos.com
I'll paste the link. I have done lots of different types of photography with the little one I have. I do night photos - spiderwebs-, flowers, ducks & ducks on water, people, animals, interesting buildings and landscapes of sorts. So I have no favorites. I also like macro. I want a combo kit that covers a wide varity of objects and want to get it all together with one purchase. I know later I can get into the high dollar lens if that should be a need but thought I would start out with a varity kit.
I dont have time to check out the link tonight but will tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: camera link

o

Sounds like a good deal, I know the Nikon D80 is a very good camera,on my wish list. My sister has one and she has taken awesome photos with it, 3 weddings, homecoming coronation.

o

sounds similar to the deal i got, sunshine cameras (ebay store) i got a nikon D40X with all the extras like you described, upgraded to a 5 year warrenty (i have kids and god help me if they got their hands on my camera) the soft bag is a nice size i can also fit my digital camcorder inside as well. i did get an extra memory card,with shipping to canada was 1400.00 dosnt sound like a bad deal your looking at, i would look into it further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here