Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Nightime pictures

Posted by june_nd (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 21:50

I am back again. I have a Canon Xti with a 70-300 Canon zoom lense. I have tried a lot of settings and just can't seem to get the right one. The best luck I have had is the auto normal setting using the flash. I know the flash doesn't reach out there but it must open the lense up some.
I have the following modes beside the suto ones. P, TV, Av, and M. I have tried some of these but probably haven't been setting the right
I am sitting up in the stands, (I am lucky I get that far)
so won't be getting any closer.
will try to upload a picture here but tell me where there is a good place so I can show you. This picture( if it gets on)has not been touched or lightened yet.

June

Image link: Help Nightime pictures (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Nightime pictures

Flash really is useless in this situation, sure, flash will come on when using auto because of low light
situation.
I would put it on TV mode, setting ISO starting at 400, go higher up to 800 or 1000, but you will have some noise. Set shutter speed at 1/250, if subjects are not sharp, go up to 1/500 or more.

Konrad

o

Really don't know anything about flash...I tried shooting when the Harvest Moon was here and alot came out grainy...and the moon came out white...Even in the night setting...but I suspect that's intended for like street or city lights...Sorry I wasn't much helpful, June, but I'm interested in what answers you get....
I'm trying that tip, Konrad...

Juanita

o

You might also consider a good photo editing software program to help reclaim some of your photos. I brightened up your photo using a free little editor called Sherif PhotoPlus. Any Photoshop program would do much better.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Good luck,
Marnie

o

Try again. Hope this picture comes thru. This site wouldn't let me upload like I did the other one.
I use Photoshop and Picture It for all my pictures. Mine is about the same as yours.
About the flash. Flashes only go about 10 feet but when i turned the flashon it must open the lense some buz when I turn it off the pictures are darker.
Anyway tonight, if it doesn't rain, I am going to try shutter priority, 1/100 with 800 ISO. MIne camera goes from 800 to 1600 and 1600 is to grainy. May also open the lighting to about +.5 or +1.0 which might help.
Now hopefully the picture comes thru from Photobucket.
June

Here is a link that might be useful: football

o

Nope. Nothing from Photobucket.

o

Can't figure out why it won't let me browse and put my picture in like before.

June

o

See if you can see these pictures.
I took these using the shutter priority, 1/60, ISO 800 and exposure compensation set at .5. I only lightened them a little bit. ( the first 3)
Friday night I may either go to 1/50 or open my compensation to +1.0. just to see if they are any lighter and brighter.
The softball pictures were taken with my wide angle lense this summer and they are good.

June

Here is a link that might be useful: football

o

High ISO
lens opens up to 2.8(at least)
decent softe to slight adjust exposure levels
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I can only go to 4.5, and ISO I have 800 or 1600 and 1600 too grainy. I can do a little more exposure, but I think this is the best I am going to get for night time shots and as far away as I am sitting.
These pictures were taken from 7PM to 9PM. I tried the manual setting but that didn't work for me. So thanks everyone for your help.
The uniforms were purple not blue. Just a minor detail.
Thanks again.

June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here