Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo editing software that enable a "warm" black and white?

Posted by onelady1dog2girls (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 20:35

Hi, all:

I often find the regular black and white to be too stark. Does anyone have an editing software to recommend that would enable almost a chocolate black and white? Any suggestions welcome....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo editing software that enable a "warm" black and white?

Are you thinking of sepia?

With Photoshop or Photoshop Elements you can easily do that - to whatever degree you want.

There are many online photo editors if you don't want to invest in any Photoshop type software right now.

Here is original:
Photobucket

..and using the Sepia tone at Luna Pic

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Luna Pic

o

No, I am talking about a black and white that is more chocolate and white. Something just less gray. Not sepia, that has too much yellow undertone everywhere.

o

I use photoshop. I don't know if photoshop elements has this option. I recommend making a copy of your file, then working off the copy.

First, convert the copy of your photo to grayscale:

Open the copy of the image, then select IMAGE, then MODE, then GRAYSCALE

Doing that will then activate the DUOTONE option.

Re-select IMAGE, then MODE again, but this time choose DUOTONE.

When the window opens up, it'll have two basic selections:

PRESET which will have "Custom" in the window, and
TYPE which will have "monotone" in the window.

You can select "Monotone", "Duotone", "Tritone", or "Quadtone" as your type. That controls how many levels of additional color (1, 2, 3, or 4) you want to add to your grayscale photo.

Under "preset" you can select from numerous types of preloaded toning combinations. The name implies the type of tone it will impart to your grayscale photo.

For a "chocolate" look, you might want to take a look at "brown 464 bl 1" or something in that group. You can also tweak the tones to your liking.

Best, Mongo

o

This is sepia, found again a free photoscape...I use this software most of all of them available

o
RE: Photo editing software that enable a "warm" black a

I hope by now the OP has figured out a solution. If not, I can recommend Topaz Black & White Effects, from www.topazlabs.com. It's a Photoshop plug-in that I use with Elements.

This post was edited by alisande on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 22:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here