Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sony Cyber Shot f717

Posted by tomhoffman (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 17:58

I have had the Sony F717 for about 6 years, just love the camera. It has preformed flawlessley and takes supberb pictures.

Now the rub. Recently I went to use it and it was dead. Thought the battery was down, so I hooked it up to charge. No charge light indicator came on. I left it over night and went to use it and still dead. I ordered a new battery, got it and installed it. It's still dead, will not turn on.

I called Sony, they will fix it for a flat service fee of $245. Seems rather extereme for a 6 year old camera. They would do what ever it takes and ship back.

I asked if there was any camera service shops close to where I live. Yup, WalMart, Staples, & Best Buy. Duh...
they don't have any one in them to fix anything. Just want you to buy new.

Now the question. IS THERE ANY WHERE TO GET CAMERAS FIXED???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sony Cyber Shot f717

This guy seems honest and dependable. He's been around fixing Sonys for years.
Look down on the bottom where it says "Mavica Repairs by MIE member". His name is Tim.
Good luck! Oh, it's called Mavica cause Sony used to have a line of digital cams with that name (in case you don't go back that far).
JoanMN

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony Mavica site

o

Thank you Joan. I found a local camera of long established history, who has the camera now and is doing a diagnostic on it for $20.00 will let me know what the problem is before I have to commit. Once I know, I will call time and see if he is reasonable or I should just dump the camera. Hate to do that as it is a great camera.

Tom...

o

I sure liked mine.
JoanMN

o

Well, so far nothing going on the camera, I emailed the guy on the site, no reply. I found a site parts.com that has all the parts neccessary for the camera, I have a friend who was in arial photography during the View Nam War. He has the camera apart now and had tenatively diagnosed the problems as a bad power board. Part costs $82.00 from Parts.com. His cost is zero. Much more reasonable. Now just have to hope that it is the only problem part. The site has 100's of parts for the camera, luckily they are all labled in the camera. We will see.

o

Good luck!
JoanMN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here