SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

DSLR vs point and shoot digital

krikit
13 years ago

I've had an Olympus Camedia C-740 w/3.2 megapixel camera for about 7 years and it seems to have given out on me. Just sort of locked up like the batteries were dead - replaced batteries and it worked a couple times then the same thing so I'm thinking it's done for. Anyway .... I've started looking at cameras and trying to decide what would best suit my needs. Looked at entry level DSLR's - Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.2 mp & Nikon D3000 10.? mp. If I go with a DSLR I'm thinking it will be between these two. The salesman also showed me a Nikon Coolpix (maybe 7000) can't remember for sure but I think it had 15 mpix.

It seems that if I go with the DSLR I'm going to be spending about $350 more than the point and shoot. I've always loved taking photos but and having recently retired am hoping to travel around a bit and take some nice photos that could be enlarged at least to 8 x 10 size. My other concern is shutter lag which although the old olympus took great pics, the shutter lag was incredibly annoying.

So, I guess my question is .... can a point and shoot priced in the $300 - $350 range overcome the shutter lag and give images worthy of enlarging to 8 x 10. If so, what would be your reccomendation?

Thanks in adavance for your opinions/experience/advice.

Frances

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz