Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Image format for custom text

Posted by bill_g_web (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 16:51

Is there a way to add text to an image, embedded in the digital file itself, not necessarily something that would be visible on the photo in a viewer? What I'm thinking of is something like an IPAD with a camera, so I can take a photo and add text to it using the Ipad soft keyboard. Maybe the file format would be a tiff? Then access the enbedded text with software so I could sort the images based on the text.

Thanks,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Image format for custom text

dSLRs are usually capable of having text info added to the photo files by the camera itself. Think along the lines of the camera writing EXIF data for each shot's date/time/lens/exposure and it "tagging" that info to the individual photo's file.

Well, most cameras allow you to add additional text info into the EXIF file data. I use it on my camera, but normally just as an identifier. My name, phone number, etc. I don't use EXIF as a searchable database.

I do add searchable metadata tags to all photo files, but I do it via batch during workflow. Most software programs have the capability.

You don't mention what you're using, but do a google search for something like "how to add metadata tag to photo file with XXX" (with "XXX" being whatever software or camera you are using) and you should find some good info.

o
RE: Image format for custom text

Hey Mongo;

You sure get around between tiling showers. I was looking for a way to add data to a photo at the time and place of making the exposure, so I'd need a good input device like a keyboard, soft or hard, or better yet, a microphone and speech recognition software. That's why I was thinking IPad. (Picture quality may not be that important.) As far as file format goes, anything that works, be it EXIF or something else; XMP maybe. I don't yet have a camera/imaging device; just looking.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here