Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital pictures are too big in email... please help

Posted by sharon620 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 15:33

Hello,

I am getting my pictures into my computer ok but once I get them in there they are too big to email. I mean they are HUGE. I am using Adobe 4.0 to edit my photo's.
Could you please help me?
Thank you!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital pictures are too big in email... please help

I doubt if you want to mail large photos with rare exceptions, sometimes I send and receive large files for one reason or another; when I do, I upload it to my webspace and then send a link. From there, the recipient can download and save. There is a place you can use to send large files that I believe is reliable and free.

It sounds like you need to resize. I don't know your program, but resizing is pretty straightforward and intuitive, some methods retain better quality than others. Look in your help files, look at all your menu options and see if there is an "image size" or "resize" or "resample" or "crop tool" where you can enter numbers or percentages. I like to crop most of mine to 800 pixels by 600 pixels and compress when I save usually for posting on the web and email attachments.

I usually resize just using the percentage method or by cropping in Adobe PS CS2, no sense in trying to explain that.

I just posted this link for somebody else around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouSendIt

o
RE: Digital pictures are too big in email... please help

when you intially save the photo a screen pops up asking where, what etc... there should be a slider bar named "quality" or something like that. If it is set to 100 the file will be larger, 85 is good. At that ratio the untrained will notice no difference, sometimes the trained will not be able to see the difference. Also, make sure you are saving as *.jpeg - PDF, TIFF & RAW are huge compared to jpeg.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here