Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
archiving old portraits

Posted by magichat (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 0:57

Hi,
I searched the forum but didn't find any info on preserving old portraits. I have a bunch of 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 portraits from the 1920s through '60s that are all mounted or inserted into a cardboard type frame or folder. Does anyone know the best way to remove them or if it's best to leave them in the frames/folders? Some of the folders are falling apart. I'm guessing the frames/folders aren't acid-free so I thought it would be best to remove the photos but I'm trying to find out for sure.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: archiving old portraits

I think I would try to find some other forums that might have people who are knowledgeable about this. Or go to a photo shop or even a scrap booking place. Good luck!
JoanMN

o
RE: archiving old portraits

Here is the little bit of knowledge I have about storing photos.

Use non-acid paper available in scrap book stores, photo stores, and hobby stores. Never use plastic that contains PVC. Oddly, I've heard sandwich bags are ok. However, its best to use acid free paper which does not collect moisture like plastic can. And do keep in a low moisture area that is not subject to very high or very low temperatures.

For precious photos, put an archival quality paper between each photo. Store in acid free cardboard boxes.

Be sure and write the names of the photographed people on the backs of each photo.

Google storing or protecting photos for a lot more info. Supplies probably available on line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here