Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heads are cut off photos !

Posted by gardeningannie (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 21:23

I love my Canon Power Shot SX40HS, but following a day of shooting and spending time editing ~ especially cropping ~ the printed photos are often a disappointment. While the edited versions looks perfect, the printed photos are often missing heads, arms, etc. I felt it was the fault of Walgreens who I upload too, but they were clueless as to the cause. I mentioned this to a friend who said it was due to my cropping and that I needed to go back and click on each image and re-edit them by making sure they are 4X6. This made sense until I tried to do it in my Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but there is no 'inches' option ~ only ratios, pixels and percentages. Do any of these convert to '4X6'? I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any help you all can give ! Thanks, annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heads are cut off photos !

I looked at MS Office Picture Manager - and there is an option for 4x6. Under CROP SETTINGS->ASPECT RATIO choose 4x6. You also have the option for landscape or portrait.

Do not crop too close. There will still be a "bleed" area that may not get printed depending on who prints your photos. Always leave just a little more than you need.

o

Thanks, iowagirl2006 ~ I found the 4X6 setting just as you said and don't know how I missed it the first time ! I applied it to the photos that had the heads cut off and see what you mean about why they were printed that way. Damage done, is there any way to correct the problem? What about taking the CD of photos somewhere for printing instead of uploading to Walgreens. In other words, is this a 'fixable' problem that will result in a 'heads on' result??? These are pics from my daughters wedding last week and, of course, some of the best shots (the ones I monkeyed with the most) are the ones most affected. Thanks again.

o

After you have your photos selected & edited as you want them, put them on a thumb drive or sd card and take that to Walmart,Kmart, Walgreens or where ever they have printing in the store. You can put your thumbdrive in the kiosk and the photos will come up on the screen. Select the size photo you want and it will outline the photo edge on the screen and you can shift the photo inside the outline until you get the alignment you want, then hit the print button.

o

Thanks for all the help ! Tonight, I took my CD of photos to Costco and the nice guy there showed me how to 'save' my pics. He was great ~ photos look great (no more cut off heads!) and I'm a happy camper . . . I mean photographer. Learn something new every day. Thanks again. My Gardenweb family has never let me down. annie

o

Hi Annie,
If you mostly print 4x6s, make sure that before you take your pictures that your aspect ratio set in your camera is set at 3:2. The sx40hs lets you shoot in the different ratios, 16:9 (widescreen), 3:2, 4:3 and 1:1. It defaults to 4:3 for some reason.
To change it to 3:2, with your camera set in a picture taking mode push your func set button twice. A menu will pop up with several things you can change on the left hand side. Toggle down to the aspect ratio (16:9 for example) then turn your wheel to the left or right to select 3:2 and push the func set button again. No cropping needed now for 4x6s.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
Rhonda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here