Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ready to move on...

Posted by ashelton80 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 13:46

I bought my first "good" digital camera a couple of years ago, a sony dscw70...just a point and shoot, but I have taken some VERY good pictures with it....

But now I think Im ready to move on and learn more about using manual settings to get the pictures that I REALLY want to get....not just settle for something good...I want to take something GREAT.

I understand a little about the f-numbers, and aperture stuff...but I need a camera to work with to learn more, but at the same time I cant afford to throw out huge bucks for it.

What would a good camera be? I am a huge Sony loyalists, so naturally I was looking at the H5 or H7...but I may be persuaded to branch out to another brand...

I want to stay under $400, but I want something that I can print an 8x10 without risking quality loss, so at least 7 mp...

anyone have any suggestions or personal experiences?

thanks

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ready to move on...

Joe, come on down!

o

You want to take "great" pictures. What type of pictures do you like taking?
The cameras is just the tool, you're the one controling the tool.

As far as Sony goes, the R1 is a great camera. Also, I print very nice 8x10s at 5MP.

o

I agree with what you said about the camera just being the tool...and Im not one to pat myself on the back, but in my own (perhaps biased, lol) opinion, I have a fairly good eye and have taken some REALLY cool pictures with my lil point and shoot.

I just know some could be better if I had more control over my "tool" instead of it just doin its thing...lol.

As far as what kind I like to take...definitely outdoors...but there is so much to take pics of that I cant think of any one type....everything from sunsets, to birds, animals, waterfalls.....nature stuff basically...I love macros too. So many things goin on that are too small to see unless you just get in close!

Basically, I see tons of pics all around me, but the camera that I have wont "capture the moment" the way I want it to, if that makes sense!

Andy

o

I have the Sony DSC-H5, and it is a wonderful camera. Small, with that x12 optical zoom. And you can use manual settings or point and shoot. Has plenty of MP's for 8x10's, too.
JoanMN

o

Thanks Joan, that is the one I am leanin toward. Its a good bit of money, but I dont want to start out with a bottom of the line...its gonna have to last me. I wish I was still a kid....my toys were so much cheaper....lol.

Anyway, I think Im gonna start saving my pennies and look into buying this camera. I may even hit you up for some lessons since your pictures usually take my breath away!

Does anyone have any good links that explain the aperture and f-stops and things like that?

Andy

o

Try this one
http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/toc.html

Also, go to your local library and check out a photgraphy book. It is free and you can take it with you out and about for reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK ME

o

Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera. You say it has to last you a long time? This camera can grow with you. Sooner or later you will want lenses, filters, etc. This will give you more choice than than most other brands. Shop the price.

o

I looked at the rebel and after i drooled on my chin a bit, i saw the price tag....its out of my range at this time, but something i may invest in later....Joan, I know you like the h5....have you compared it to the h7? how does it stack up?

I saw this one and kinda started leanin in that direction.....it has a remote, which in some instances would be awesome (extreme close ups of humming birds, maybe?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here