Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Interesting Old Technique

Posted by lazypup (lazypup@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 11:17

I was scanning some old family photos so Jan could add them to her album and I noticed what I think is a very interesting portrait lighting technique.
Keep in mind that when these photos were shot back in 1916 it is highly doubtful that they even had electric studio lights so the photographer has seated the people beside a window and allowed the direct sunlight to hit the subject.
By posing the people where it looks as if they are just relaxing and looking out the window it gives a very fantastic contrast, and whats more, it leaves one wondering what they may have been contemplating as they look out that window.
I can't wait to try this technique for myself.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Interesting Old Technique

How interesting! Thanks.

o

I absolutely love this!

o

Those are great pics! Yes it does make you wonder what they were thinking. What a great idea in trying a technique. Want to try it and post the results?

o

I love glimpses in to forgotten times.

In the future in our digital world, I wonder if things will be "lost" just about as much as daily life from 1916 is to us but because it is buried under all that is saved?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here