Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still on the topic of sunsets, what do you see

Posted by bean_counter_z4 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 10:56

I spend a lot of time on pbase looking at the beautiful photos. Trying to learn technique and composition from observation. Those of you that have better eyes than me, please look at this photo and tell me what you see. To me it looks obviously photo-shopped. Did the photographer just stick these trees on the left in? they don't seem to have trunks growing from the ground. Actually ALL of the trees look unnatural. So, following that example, I should have photo-shopped some trees into my sunset photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: pbase gallery photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still on the topic of sunsets, what do you see

Hey Bean Counter. Thanks for turning me on to pbase. I wasn't aware of it before. Some of those photos don't look natural to me either, they remind me of Kincaid paintings. There are some real beauties there tho. Thanks again. Mare

o

Bean,

I'm thinking the trees are natural. The photographer, Steve Highfield likes to play with the tinting of the photos. Take a look at this photo of his. See how green everything is. Fence post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Over green

o

Eric, you posted a very interesting photo. I can't deny what he does is an art form and he does it very well. The colors are intense and luminous. (It doesn't look natural but then who says nature can't be improved;~) Maybe it's that unreal lighting quality that makes me doubt everything in the photo.

Studying all the other photos of the same scene, it seems things like trees appear, disappear and change. I could easily be confused and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I know he's quite well know and respected. I've also heard some don't like his photo editing style. But who's to say where a line should be drawn? If we can use polarizers or filters, why not color or lightening effects.

One photographer I really admire is Monique from Naturephoto. Her work has a surreal quality too and some dramatic effects. Not as obvious.

These pictures give me some possibilities for post camera editing. Thanks for posting that photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monique at pbase

o

Personally, I like creating something that is more than the eye captured on occasion.

While far from being either good or artistic, isn't that really what most people who have applied paint and brush to canvas do? And, like with viewing those efforts, everyone will have their own tastes about what is appreciated and what isn't.

Otherwise mundane pictures can take on new, hopefully more interesting or enjoyable qualities. And great pictures can rise even more. So long as you are not misrepresenting "fiction" for "fact", its just a matter of taste seems to me.

o

rc, you're right, it is all a matter of taste. At first I found Highfield's photos very off putting, but they are so unique I realize I can learn a lot from his use of lighting and coloring effects.

o

Are Highfield's pictures created doing HDR, high dynamic range, photography? It definitely gives a picture more "pop". I've seen examples on flickr (do a search for hdr) and it seems the pictures are deeper. Kinda cool, but I think more work than I want to do right now, lol.

Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: HDR

o

I like the way Rc put it and definitely agree...You can take some 'just' ordinary pics that seem kind of flat-lifeless which you couldn't capture the way you see them and add life and interest to it...

Juanita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here