Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fog effects

Posted by bean_counter_z4 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 10:52

Second question is about fog. I saw a photoshop b&w with lots of light-filter use thru a fog effect. The photographer didn't share his method. Anybody know how to create a nice foggy night in Elements?

Marnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fog effects

Don't know how to make it 'foggy' using the computer or other programs, but before the picture is taken, I used to use pantyhose stretched over the lens of my 35mm camera.

Depending on the type of hose and how tight it was stretched, it would give a soft, foggy look to the photos, but I haven't tried it with my digital camera.

Kt

o

I don't have elements, but I'm guessing they used Gaussian blur.
JoanMN

o

Thanks Kt, Joan. Will play around with the gaussian blur some more. Didn't like the effect when I first tried it, but that's probably my fault. Haven't had Elements very long and not too good with filters. I do have pantyhose and can't wait to try that out;~) Love having new ideas to try out. Thanks again.

o

Marnie,

This is a simple Transparent Fade Gradual upper left to lower right.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Eric

o

eric, when I first looked at the fade I thought it isn't what I want. But then I rethought the photo I'd seen. Night time, wet pavement, street lights. I believe this would work on that kind of photo. Using a lightening filter to boost the street lights this might work really well. Is this a Photoshop tool? Thanks for the tip.

o

Another thing I think might work is just plain softening it.
JoanMN

o

Bean........

They probably have this feature. I'm using Microsoft Picture It, Photo Premium.

Eric

o

eric, I'll search thru Elements and try and find a feature that gives a similar fade effect.

joanmn, I'm not sure in Elements what feature would soften. (Still learning all the features and filters.) The blur filters aren't quite right. Every single photo editor calls stuff by a different name. Irritating! Or maybe picasa, which I intend to download, has a minimal soft effect?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here