Return to the Photography Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bear With Me - Slide Projector?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 8:56

Hi folks - Not sure that this is at all pertinent to what you talented folks discuss, but I'm hoping that someone can advise. My father, now deceased, took many, many slides in his lifetime. I want to look through them to save and discard (I know he has lots of duplicates!). But - his slide projector was beyond repair and so now I need to buy one. I don't want to spend much money as it'll be rarely used.

Some of his slides are in the long plastic trays, some are in carousels (the round trays), some are in neither, just in boxes, but organized.

I was wondering if one can even purchase slide projectors anymore, but a quick google search seems to be successful. Does anyone know anything about this and give me an idea of an economical projector that isn't going to drive me nuts by jamming, etc.?

Thanks so much!

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bear With Me - Slide Projector?

Hi Suzieque,

I don't know anything about slide projectors, but I want to suggest that if you want to save any of the slides for future generations you should consider scanning them to turn them into digital images.

My scanner (Canon's 9950F) does negatives and slides in batches. It's been replaced by a less expensive model, the 8800F, which is getting rave reviews on Amazon.

Good luck!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Canon Canoscan 8800F

o

Thanks, Susan. Until I started reading through this forum I didn't even realize that there is a possibility of doing so (saving slides to digital). That sure would free up a lot of room for me!!! I looked at the link that you provided and the price is sure right. One user said it takes about 20 minutes for 4 slides - yikes! I'll be doing it for years! :-)

But - if I can find a projector I'll at least go thru and pick out only "keepers". That'll help some.

Suzieque

o

If you go to a camera store you should be able to find a slide viewer, which is just a small hand-held device you can pop the slides into. You don't need a full projector unless you want to show them to a crowd. I'm sure the small viewer would be much less expensive. That way you can decide which ones you want to scan.

I attached a link so you can see what I'm talking about. I don't know anything about any particular brand but you'll find a wide variety of prices. Some are as low as $10.

Hope that helps,
Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: slide viewers

o

I know Walmart does slides to pictures. You might want to check with their photo lab. I am thinking it costs about 22 cents a picture.I'm not sure thats the right price. But its worth checking into it.

o

I think getting a hand held slide viewer is the way to start.
I have been scanning my old slides with my Epson scanner.....lots of fun but time consuming.
Costco also does slides to a DVD.
I have an old slide projector.....I would let you borrow it if you lived nearby.

o

Thanks. Solstice, the problem is that I've got probably 10,000 or more slides; no exaggeration. Using something that feeds one or a few at a time won't do it for me.

Njdjs, I'm not looking right now at slides to pictures, I'm wanting to go through all of the slides to then see which ones I want to convert to digital.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond; I do appreciate it! I'll probably go to a photography store over the weekend or check eBay and see what I can find.

Suzieque

o
Slides

Hi carol - sorry, I was typing while you were posting. Doesn't a hand-held viewer only hold a few slides at a time? I could be totally wrong. I did talk to a friend tonight who has a carousel slide projector that he'll loan me, so that's great; that'll take care of the ones in carousels. I've still got the long plastic trays (about 10-12" long) and the boxed, orderly, bulk slides. I did take a look on eBay but am confused about which projectors take which holders (or none), except for the rotary which are obvious.

Thanks for the thought, Carol, even though we're on different coasts!

Suzieque

o

I think you would be able to take the slides out of the long plastic trays and load them into the carousel tray. Not quite as fast as you would like but might be doable.
Good luck and may you find some really great photos you will always treasure.

o

The biggest issue is the slides that aren't in trays yet. Yes, I can put them in trays, but you're right, that would be very slow. It's probably what I'll end up doing. I remember, though, that my father had a projector that had a removable metal sliding "tray" option (for lack of a better word, although it didn't have individual slots for the slides); it fit onto the projector, then he took a stack of slides, put the stack as is on it, and the arm pushed one in and out at a time. Very hard to describe. In any case, I'll go the "slow but steady" route! Thanks again, all.

Suzieque

o

It is true that older style slide projectors have disappeared from store shelves, but you can locate good used ones at various places. (I still have mine purchased in the 1970s.)

One caveat: If you decide to purchase a slide projector, make sure that you can get projection bulbs for it. The filaments are run at higher than normal temperature and the bulbs have short lives, typically 25 hours, although I've had bulbs last much longer. A projector is useless without a bulb. When you buy a projector, its a good idea to also get a couple of spare bulbs, too.

Tip: An incandescent lamp is most vulnerable at the moment of turn off. Protect the device from shakes and vibration when the bulb is turned off. On cooling, the filament goes through a phase change and is very fragile at that moment. A shock at the time, if it damages the filament, may show the next time the lamp is turned on - It will blow out with a 'pop'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Photography Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here